Droids of this kind could be found on board Imperial vessels like the Executor and the second Death Star. At least one was present when Vader made a surprise arrival at Death Star II to get Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod and his men back on schedule for completing construction of the station.
Behind the scenes
This droid appears in Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, but is either partially obscured by the gathered Imperial personnel or seen from a great distance. Additional footage filmed for this scene (which includes the droid) was reused in later releases of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, starting with its Special Edition in 1997. In that case the Death Star hangar was now meant to be a hangar on board the Executor.
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (Footage taken from Return of the Jedi in post-1997 releases)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic (Picture only)
- The Making of Return of the Jedi (Picture only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File (2013) Part 5 (VAD27, Darth Vader) (Picture only)