- "And I thought they smelled bad...on the outside."
- ―Han Solo
They could measure 15 feet long and nearly 8 1/2 feet tall. A healthy adult had only one known predator, the dreaded wampa. They were themselves omnivores, eating fungi such as floor lichen as well as ice scrabblers and Hoth hogs.
They were stubborn creatures, but made ideal patrol mounts for the Rebel Alliance's Echo Base in the absence of repulsorcraft, which were unreliable in Hoth's extremely cold climate. Personnel such as Corporal Vyn Rolado were responsible for taming the alpha female of a tauntaun pack, in turn allowing the Alliance to easily train the remainder of the pack.
Several of the creatures were taken to the pole of Coruscant for pleasure riding.
Behind the scenes
The creatures were represented on screen through a combination of puppetry and stop-motion animation. They are also used as a mount in Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars: Battlefront II but have a very broad head in the games and are easily killed with rockets.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- Star Wars Infinities: The Empire Strikes Back
- "Hunger Pains" — Star Wars Tales 20
- "Ghosts of Hoth" — Star Wars Tales 17
- Star Wars: Yoda Stories