Givins were a sentient species from Yag'Dhul. They had the appearance of an animated skeleton, and were renowned for their mathematical genius. During the Galactic Civil War, the Givin cryptographer Drusil Bephorin was recruited into the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
Biology and appearance
Givins were a species of white-skinned, hairless humanoids who, to human eyes, looked like animated skeletons. Their facial features included sharp downward angles, large triangular eye sockets, and sloped-up brows that met together in the middle, lending them an appearance of permanent anguish. The average height of Givins was 1.8 meters.
Society and culture
Mathematics were central to the Givin culture. Because of that, many of them became experts in a number of scientific fields. It was polite to address a Givin with an equation for them to answer, a custom known as greeting maths. The Givin would respond with an equation of their own. When dealing with other, less mathematically minded species, Givins would ask an equation with an answer of three for convenience.
Givins in the galaxy
Because of their skeletal-looking faces and seemingly anguished expressions, the Givins' appearance was unsettling to certain other species, including humans. However, their innate mathematical ability gave them employment in a number of scientific fields.
Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, a Givin was among the barflies attending the cantina of Mos Eisley the day Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker met Han Solo and Chewbacca. Later, Skywalker went on a dangerous mission to free Drusil Bephorin, a renowned Givin cryptographer, so she could join the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook
- The Vow of Silver Dawn
- Rebel Rising (Indirect mention only)
- Rebel Rising audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Bounty Hunt
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- "Journey into Darkness"—Star Wars Insider 155 (First identified as Givin)
- Heir to the Jedi
- Heir to the Jedi audiobook
- Doctor Aphra: An Audiobook Original
- Darth Vader (2015) 9
- Darth Vader (2015) 11
- Star Wars (2015) 48
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)
- Force Collector
- Force Collector audiobook
- Galaxy's Edge 2 (In flashback(s))
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 155
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Databank A-Z: Dengar–Domino Squad)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 32 (Databank A-Z: Kel Dor–Ki-Adi-Mundi)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive