- "But the Sith are another matter entirely. Even if the Empire falls, the followers of the dark side will continue to exist in hiding. That is why I have devoted myself to studying the Sith. I am determined to find a way to cleanse the galaxy of their corrupting influence, putting an end to the eternal struggle between the light and dark sides of the Force."
A Force-sensitive Kel Dor, Gnost-Dural was trained by the Jedi Order in the ways of the Force from an early age, studying at the Coruscant Jedi Temple while a Padawan. During his training as a Consular, at the advice of Jedi Master Shol Bestros, the senior Padawan began to keep a journal as a means to record his thoughts and experiences which could later serve as a personal reference as well as material for the Temple Archives. As Gnost-Dural began exploring the early histories of the Jedi Order, he uncovered forgotten records of Tython, the Force Wars, and the Infinite Empire. These discoveries would prove vital to the Order in the following decades. Continuing down the path of a historian, Gnost-Dural constructed his own green-bladed lightsaber as part of his training.
Great Galactic WarEdit
- "This is my first journal entry in several weeks, because we have been very busy since I was transferred to serve with the Republic fleet."
Four years after beginning his journal, the Jedi High Council bestowed upon Gnost-Dural the title of Jedi Knight. During the ceremony, the Kel Dor swore to uphold the Jedi Code and defend the Galactic Republic as part of his duty to the Order and the Force. It was upon this day that news broke on Coruscant of a bloody assault on the Tingel Arm; history would later remember this attack as the first appearance of the resurgent Sith Empire, last seen during the Great Hyperspace War nearly two millennia prior.
Dispatched along with hundreds of other able-bodied Knights to the Minos Cluster, Gnost-Dural and his compatriots hoped to end the Sith offensive there quickly and decisively. As the Sith met the Jedi in battle, the conflict continued to drag out. Digging in on the planet Eliad for several months, Gnost-Dural had fought many Sith troopers in the initial weeks, but only once had an encounter with an actual lightsaber-wielding Sith. Despite the Jedi's initial concern at confronting the dark sider, he quickly realized that overconfidence was the Sith warrior's downfall and defeated him. Collecting the slain Sith's weapon, Gnost-Dural hoped to one day be able to return to the Temple Archives on Coruscant to enter it into the collection and studying it.
In the following weeks Gnost-Dural was transferred to the Republic Fleet where he was placed under the command of Admiral Greik and confronted and defeated the Imperial Battle Group at Bothawui. Despite this victory, the planet was eventually attacked a second time, resulting in the loss of Master Belth Allusis.
After years of fighting on the front lines of what was now known as the Great Galactic War, Gnost-Dural's petitions to the High Council were finally answered and he returned to Coruscant and the Temple Archives to conduct research on the origins of the Sith. During his research, Gnost-Dural compiled a report to the Council detailing an historical account of the Sith Empire and his belief that the long-thought dead Sith Lord Naga Sadow was indeed the Sith Emperor leading the war effort against the Republic and the Jedi.
- "The Jedi Council requests I perform a daunting task….to revise the Order’s historical records in light of new revelations about the formation of the Sith Empire. Specifically, I’m to trace the conflict between the Empire and the Republic, the Sith and the Jedi, to uncover the roots of the struggle which now plagues us."
Eventually, Gnost-Dural became a Jedi Master and the keeper of the Jedi Archives. In the years following the Treaty of Coruscant, the Jedi High Council tasked him with creating a new timeline of the event. His research during this time unearthed several previously unknown factors about the war and served as the basis for a new Jedi Library.
In 3640 BBY, Gnost-Dural was assisted by intelligence agent Theron Shan to find and destroy the Ascendant Spear. The pair infiltrated the facility and Dural, giving time for Shan to sabotage the station, confronted his former apprentice turned dark Kana Terrid, now Darth Karrid. Dural dueled and killed her apprentices, but was captured in turn and interrogated by Karrid. Dural tricked her into going to Duros, where she met her demise in the ensuing battle.
Jedi Under SiegeEdit
In 3637 BBY,[source?] the Eternal Empire led by the former Sith Emperor Vitiate attacked both the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic, leaving Master Dural to lead the battles of the swamp planet of Mimban. Alongside Tau Idair, they fought in a lengthy campaign against Zakuul and the pair were among the only survivors. With Jedi numbers thinned out to the hundreds, and Grand Master Satele Shan in hiding, Dural established a colony on Ossus. They would soon recruit others to their colony by 3630 BBY,[source?] including the doctor Archiban Frodrick Kimble and Jedi Knight Nadia Grell.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- "To satisfy my own curiosity, I've been searching the Jedi Archives for any further information relating to the ancient world of Tython and have discovered more details about what occurred there. As the Tythonian scholars grew in understanding of the Force and became more proficient in its manipulations, a controversy developed among them..."
- ―An excerpt from The Journal Of Gnost-Dural
Gnost-Dural was voiced by Lance Henriksen. Gnost-Dural was one of the main characters in The Old Republic: Annihilation. Though a major character in elements of the material published alongside The Old Republic, he neither appeared in nor was mentioned in the game until he received offhand mentions in the Shadow of Revan and Knights of the Eternal Throne expansions. He was originally set to appear in the early version of Star Wars: The Old Republic's first expansion, which would have included the planet Ziost and a storyline for the Sith Warrior class involving the Jedi Master. He eventually appeared in update 5.10 Jedi Under Siege and was voiced by Fred Tatasciore.
- Timeline 1: Treaty of Coruscant (First appearance)
- Timeline 2: The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken
- Timeline 3: The Return of the Mandalorians
- Timeline 4: The Empire Changes Strategy
- Timeline 5: The Battle of Bothawui
- Timeline 6: Onslaught of the Sith Empire
- Timeline 7: Peace for the Republic?
- Timeline 8: The Jedi Civil War
- Timeline 9: The Mandalorian Wars
- Timeline 10: The Exar Kun War
- Timeline 11: Rebirth of the Sith Empire
- Timeline 12: The Great Hyperspace War
- The Old Republic: Annihilation
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 137
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural (real-life book)
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ The Old Republic: Annihilation
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Tau Idair"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Tau Idair"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Mission: "Jedi Under Siege" on Ossus