Designed for the defense of valuable planets and facilities, the first Golan platforms began production during the closing years of the Galactic Republic. After the Clone Wars spurred the production of ever larger warships, the original Golan SpaceGun was succeeded by the Golan II Space Defense SpaceGun and the Golan III Space Defense NovaGun. Later models included the Golan VIII, which was fitted with a hyperdrive should the platform need to be relocated.
Golan platforms saw action in many notable battles from the time of the Clone Wars through the rise of the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, such as the Battle of Duro and the Battle of Bilbringi.
Several Golan IIIs defended Coruscant during the battle over it during the Yuuzhan Vong War. They formed the second tier of Coruscant's four tier defense system. After the fall of Coruscant, the Yuuzhan Vong pushed at least one of the platforms out of orbit to crash on the planet's surface, as recorded by Tam Elgrin.
- The Last Command Sourcebook
- Cracken's Rebel Operatives
- "Zirtran's Anchor"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5 (as battle platform)
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- The Far Orbit Project
- Starships of the Galaxy
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 1 (COR1, Coruscant)
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Legacy Era Campaign Guide