Characteristics[edit | edit source]
First produced during the Old Republic, the ship was made intentionally slow to prove to Republic Inspectors that the ship couldn't be used as a pirate vessel. And, though the ship was used by many independent organizations, including Hutts and a number of crime lords, it was never used in a direct act of piracy.
With difficulty, better performance could be coaxed out of the vessel, as many were refurbished into capable warships by the resource strapped Rebellion during the Galactic Civil War - with Rebellion engineers bringing many up to a level that allowed them to operate with respectable effectiveness in modern combat. Ultimately, the Rebellion deployed Gozantis as escort vessels, in line with their original design, and as capital ships in times of desperate need.
Well-armored, these vessels were notoriously difficult to board, much to the consternation of many a space pirate, and were equipped with unusually heavy armor and hull bracing. Armed with heavy retractable weaponry including four laser cannons, two quad laser cannon turrets and a proton torpedo launcher, the Gozanti was more than a match for casual pirates using second rate tech and retrofitted transports.
Primarily used by merchants, militaries and mercenaries throughout the galaxy to defend cargo vessels from piracy, a few were used as diplomatic vessels, and were popular choices for mobile command centers. When a Gozanti did fall into the hands of a criminal, they were inevitably turned into prison ships and or highly secure personal transports on account of their speed.
History[edit | edit source]
First produced during the Galactic Republic, the design fell out of favor with shipyards during the reign of the Galactic Empire, though, soon after the post-Endor collapse of Imperial central authority, the demand for heavily armed and armored civilian ships surged, and the Gozanti once more was rushed back into production to enjoy new popularity.
The Krayt's Honor was a well-known Gozanti Cruiser noted for its use by freelancers protecting various merchants who were otherwise harassed by the Trade Federation. Years prior to the advent of the Clone Wars, it could be seen in the space port of Mos Espa on Tatooine.
During the Clone Wars, the Confederacy of Independent Systems militarized Gozanti cruisers and used them as support ships. These vessels were painted in Separatist colors. Several ships served in the fleet of the super tactical droid Aut-O. The Black Sun criminal syndicate modified Gozantis and used them as frigates. After the takeover of Mandalore by the Shadow Collective, both Separatist and Black Sun Gozantis were seen using the city of Sundari as a stopover point.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Star Wars Insider 63 incorrectly identifies the Gozanti Cruiser and the Taylander shuttle as "Brocklander ships." Star Wars Insider 65 corrects the mistake, stating that "Brocklander" was only a nickname used during production.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nomad Droids" (Wreckage only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Slaves of the Republic"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Friends and Enemies"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- The Clone Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "To Catch a Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Trading Card Game: Attack of the Clones
- "Inside Attack of the Clones: Mos Espa Landing"—Star Wars Insider 63 (Incorrectly identified as a "Brocklander ship")
- Star Wars Insider 65 (corrects mistake in Insider 63)
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook (First identified as Gozanti-class armed cruiser)
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
- Fly Casual