- "The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honorable delegate from the Trade Federation. A commission must be appointed."
- ―Aks Moe
Gran were a sentient humanoid species native to the planets Kinyen and Malastare, but had colonies on worlds such as Hok and Varkana. Identifiable by their three eyes and goat-like snouts, Gran also had small antennae-like nubs on the tops of their head and thick, bulky hands that could either have six large digits or five suction-cup-like digits. Members of this species included the Podracer pilot Mawhonic, the Galactic Republic senators Ask Aak, Philo, Kharrus, as well as the criminal Ree-Yees, who worked for Jabba the Hutt.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Gran were a sentient humanoid species who were identifiable from their goat-like faces and three eyes. Their heads were topped with four antennae-like nubs, two of which were short and straight and another set that were longer and curved. Gran could be found with two distinct body shapes, one being fat-bottomed and rotund at their mid-section and the other being skinnier and have proportions similar to a human. The former type also had hands that carried six slender digits. The latter type Gran either had smaller, human-like hands or fatter hands with thick digits that ended in flat suction-cup-like appendages. The Gran had two stomachs.
Society and cultureEdit
Gran hailed from the planet Kinyen but were also native to the planet Malastare where they lived alongside the Dug species, although it was said the Gran on Malastare may have migrated there. The Gran of Kinyen were known for their peaceful agricultural pursuits and for raising Houjix while the Gran of Malastare and Hok were known to engage in more dangerous pastimes such as podracing. By 32 BBY the Gran had integrated with the larger galaxy.
Although the Dug controlled Malastare's natural fuel reserves, it was the Gran that represented the world in the Galactic Republic senate, with the Gran Ask Aak serving as senator shortly before the Clone Wars. Kinyen was also represented by the Gran in the senate, with Philo and Kharrus having served as senators at different points during the Clone Wars. Most Gran, however, were less political and worked in various other jobs across the galaxy, including bounty hunters, mechanics, and professional Podracer pilots. The Gran of Kinyen mainly worked as farmers and made a living selling their foodstuffs to locations across the galaxy, such as Batuu.
Gran in the galaxyEdit
- «The debate is over. Now we need that clone army.»
- ―Ask Aak[src]
Several Gran held notable positions within the political sphere of the Galactic Republic, including Malastare politicians Ainlee Teem, Aks Moe, and Ask Aak. Senator Kharrus of Kinyen specialized in handling matters of diplomacy, including ransom missions. Philo was a Gran senator from Kinyen who worked with like-minded senators Padmé Amidala and Bail Organa to oppose legislation. During 32 BBY, Teem attempted to run for Supreme Chancellor, but lost to Sheev Palpatine. When a crisis on Naboo was brought to the senate's attention, Moe agreed with the accused Trade Federation representative Lott Dod that a survey should be conducted in order to validate the Naboo queen's claims. During the intergalactic Clone Wars, Kharrus led a ransom mission to the planet Florrum, but was killed when his shuttle was shot down by pirates. Philo was murdered by the bounty hunter Cad Bane when Bane took members of the senate hostage in a bid to free the imprisoned Hutt Ziro.
One famous Gran was the Podracer Mawhonic from Hok, who flew in the 32 BBY Boonta Eve Classic Podrace. Mawhonic flew a green Podracer that was maintained by a Gran pit crew, but despite a strong starting position, Mawhonic crashed in the first lap of the race due to the aggressive, combative racing style of the Dug pilot Sebulba.
Several Gran were known to have work for the crime lord Jabba the Hutt. When Jabba's son Rotta was kidnapped during the Clone Wars, Jabba hired a Gran bounty hunter to retrieve the Huttlet. Along with several other bounty hunters, the Gran made it to the planet Teth, but was decapitated by the kidnappers and had their head returned to Jabba. By the year 4 ABY, the Gran Ree-Yees became a member of Jabba's court and was killed on Jabba's sail barge Khetanna when it was destroyed by the Jedi Luke Skywalker.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "The Chase with Han/Escape with Chewbacca"
- "Tarkin Revealed"—Star Wars Insider 153 (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Gran)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gungan General"
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hostage Crisis"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Knights of Fate
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Collapse of the Republic
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Star Wars: Alien Archive
- ↑ Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3
- ↑ "Trouble Again"—Star Wars Adventures 9
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Star Wars Resistance – "The Missing Agent"
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi