Grand Inquisitor was a title used by the highest-ranking Inquisitor of the Galactic Empire. The Pau'an male and former Jedi Temple Guard known only as the Grand Inquisitor, and sometimes the Inquisitor, held this title, and was ranked above other Inquisitors such as the Fifth Brother, the Sixth Brother, the Seventh Sister, the Eighth Brother, and the Ninth Sister. As Grand Inquisitor, he reported to Darth Vader, a Dark Lord of the Sith, and hunted Jedi who had survived the Jedi Purge.
Role and powersEdit
Grand Inquisitor was a rank used within the Galactic Empire, which utilized Inquisitors in order to hunt down and destroy Jedi who had survived the Jedi Purge. The Pau'an male known only as the Grand Inquisitor, who was once a Jedi Temple Guard, held the title of Grand Inquisitor and reported to Darth Vader, a Dark Lord of the Sith and apprentice to the Emperor, Darth Sidious. He was higher ranked than other Inquisitors, such as the Seventh Sister and the Fifth Brother, and was trained in the arts of the dark side of the Force and lightsaber combat. In order to understand his Jedi opponents, he studied the records of the Jedi Archives from the Imperial Palace—which had previously been the Jedi Temple. This gave him an advantage in combat, as he was able to understand Jedi fighting styles.
- "You have great potential, but perhaps it is I that might teach you, as your master never achieved the rank of Jedi Knight."
"Did he? Maybe not, but he took out the last Inquisitor. So I think I'll just stick with him."
"Yes, the death of the Grand Inquisitor was a surprise to all. Yet, it does present the rest of us with new opportunities."
- ―The Seventh Sister and Ezra Bridger
During the Age of the Empire, the title of Grand Inquisitor was held by a Pau'an male who reported to Darth Vader. This Grand Inquisitor was dispatched by Vader in order to find Force-sensitives and either recruit them to the dark side of the Force or eliminate them. In this capacity, he hunted the rebel cell that operated on the Outer Rim world of Lothal in an attempt to destroy their leader, the Jedi survivor Kanan Jarrus, and his Padawan, Ezra Bridger. This hunt, however, ultimately led to his death during a confrontation with Jarrus. The Grand Inquisitor allowed himself to die during this lightsaber duel, knowing that his failure to destroy the Jedi would incur a far greater suffering from Darth Vader than death. The death of the Grand Inquisitor subsequently left the position open, with the remaining Inquisitors vying to attain the rank. At least two, Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister, sought to do so by hunting the man responsible for his death, Jarrus, and his Padawan, as well as prime target Ahsoka Tano, another Purge survivor.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Inquisitor who held the rank of Grand Inquisitor was a villain created for the animated television series Star Wars Rebels, and he made his on-screen debut in the 2014 television film Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion. The Grand Inquisitor appeared in a number of episodes until his death in the season one finale, "Fire Across the Galaxy," but the rank of Grand Inquisitor was never referenced in the first season. His rank was first revealed by series executive producer Dave Filoni in a preview of the second season on the Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season One home media release.
- Star Wars Rebels: A New Hero
- Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season One (First identified as Grand Inquisitor)
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Dark Side
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 6: The Chosen One, Part VI
- ↑ Goldman, Eric (March 30, 2016). Star Wars Rebels: Dave Filoni on Ahsoka's Fate, Maul's Return and Much More (Page 3 of 4). IGN. Retrieved on March 30, 2016.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season One
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Rise of the Old Masters"
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Fire Across the Galaxy"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Always Two There Are"