- "The Grand Master is to take a Padawan. This is a rare honor."
- ―Tera Sinube
Grand Master or Grandmaster was a title generally bestowed on the oldest and wisest member of the Jedi Order. Whereas the Master of the Order served as leader of the Jedi High Council, the Grand Master was the head of the Jedi Order. During some eras of Jedi history, such as the High Republic Era, the Order had multiple Grand Masters at the same time. Yoda, a Jedi Master who had lived for over eight centuries by the time of the Clone Wars, was the Grand Master of the Jedi Order during the reign of the Galactic Republic.
Roles and powers[edit | edit source]
The Grand Master oversaw the Jedi Order. The title of Grand Master was generally reserved for the oldest and wisest living Jedi Master. It was distinct from the office of Master of the Order, the holder of which led the Jedi High Council. However, it was possible for a single individual to hold both titles at the same time. The Grand Master would humbly teach the most junior members of the Order, younglings, completing the circle of training. Sometimes, the Jedi Order possessed multiple Grand Masters simultaneously.
History[edit | edit source]
During the High Republic Era, at the time of the Great Disaster, three Jedi shared the rank of Grand Master, including Masters Lahru, Yoda and Vetar, who attended the dedication ceremony of the Starlight Beacon.
By the time of the Invasion of Naboo, two hundred years after the Great Disaster, the still-living Yoda was the sole holder of the rank of Grand Master. Yoda continued as Grand Master through the Clone Wars. After the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious managed to kill the majority of Jedi throughout the galaxy, the Grand Master went into exile on the planet Dagobah.
List of Grand Masters[edit | edit source]
|fl. 232 BBY||Lahru|
|fl. 232 BBY|
|fl. 232 BBY–19 BBY|
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh: Star Wars Part the Second
- William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (Appears in flashback(s))
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The High Republic, including the Great Disaster, take place about two hundred years before the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. states that the events of
- The Fall of the Jedi Order occurred during the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Revenge of the Sith as occurring during 19 BBY, Therefore it can assumed that the Jedi Order fell in 19 BBY and that the title of Grand Master was suspended in 19 BBY as well.
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Rise of the Separatists
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- The High Republic 1
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith