- "You will be in charge of that, Moff Tarkin. Or should I say Grand Moff Tarkin."
"The Empire's first."
- ―Emperor Palpatine and Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin
Grand Moff was a political title in the hierarchy of the Galactic Empire. Grand Moffs were governors of Oversectors, which were grouped star systems and sectors that demonstrated signs of unrest. Oversectors and the rank of Grand Moff were both created at the suggestion of Governor Wilhuff Tarkin in 14 BBY. Tarkin became the first ever Grand Moff. As a symbol of their charge, Grand Moffs bore a rank insignia plaque with twelve colored squares—a row of six blue squares over a row of three red and three gold ones.
Other Imperial officers who became Grand Moffs include Randd, Lozen Tolruck, and Valco Pandion. Randd served as Grand Moff of the Exterior in the Outer Rim Territories, and Tolruck served as Grand Moff of Kashyyyk. Pandion was a Moff who proclaimed himself a Grand Moff following the death of Emperor Palpatine and the destruction of the second Death Star.
Grand Moffs had a large amount of liberty to subdue insurrectionist regions, and as such had the authority to deploy and command Imperial Military resources, and were allowed to override any Moff or planetary governor. A Grand Moff also had the authority to issue the status of a most wanted bounty.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley" (Appears in flashback(s))
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The events of Tarkin take place five years after the rise of the Galactic Empire, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 19 BBY. Therefore, Tarkin must be set in 14 BBY.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Lost Stars
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious