The Grand Republic Medical Facility, also known as the Grand Medical Facility, was a towering structure on Coruscant, the capital world of the Galactic Republic. In the aftermath of the Clone Wars, the Sith Lord Darth Vader was surgically reconstructed as a cyborg at the medical facility shortly after his defeat on Mustafar.
History[edit | edit source]
The Grand Republic Medical Facility was a skyscraping tower in Galactic City, the planet-wide ecumenopolis of the Republic capital Coruscant, and was operated by the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. Following a premature activation of Clone Protocol 66 on Ringo Vinda, and a subsequent investigation on Kamino, Jedi Master Shaak Ti and Doctor Nala Se traveled to the facility bringing with them two inhibitor chips and ARC trooper CT-5555 per Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine's request. However, the clone trooper fled the facility for attempting to assassinate the chancellor, an act motivated by the revelation of Palpatine's involvement in a conspiracy to destroy the Jedi Order.
In the aftermath of the incident with the renegade clone, Palpatine—a secret Dark Lord of the Sith known as Darth Sidious—moved his collection of Sith relics and artifacts from an abandoned tower in The Works district to the Grand Medical Facility, fearing they would be discovered by the Jedi. The facility's lower levels were also restructured to accommodate Sidious' new Sith lair, and also housed a meditation chamber for the Sith Lord's use.
After the rise of the Galactic Empire, a severely damaged Darth Vader was taken to the facility by the now-anointed Emperor Palpatine. Utilizing a team of medical droids, Sidious had his apprentice surgically reconstructed and placed within a cybernetic suit in order to survive his wounds.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Conspiracy" (Mentioned only) (First identified as Grand Republic Medical Facility)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Fugitive" (Mentioned only) (First identified as Grand Medical Facility)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Orders"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 1
- Age of Rebellion - Darth Vader 1 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Darth Vader 6 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Doctor Aphra 40 (Vision to Darth Vader)
- Darth Vader 9 (Appears in flashback(s))
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 1 (Helmets: Darth Vader, Master of the Dark Side) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 5 (Droid Directory: 2-1B-series Medical Droids, Part 1) (Picture only)
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 47 (Droid Directory: Jedi Droids – Data Analysis Units)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Bust Collection 1 (Star Wars Universe: Darth Vader) (Picture only)
- "Coruscant" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Darth Vader" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (First identified as Center for Surgical Reconstruction)