Grand Vizier was the office in the Galactic Empire responsible for maintaining the day-to-day operations of the Empire and the Imperial Bureaucracy. It was the highest rank besides Galactic Emperor and Darth Vader, who was the Supreme Commander of all Imperial Forces. He oversaw the many ministries, departments, bureaus, and offices, as well as acted as personal assistant to the Emperor.
Essentially, the Grand Vizier performed almost all the day-to-day duties which the Emperor couldn't perform due to the hunt for the remaining Jedi and the Rebellion. He acted as an intermediary for the Emperor; few spoke to His Majesty without first going through the Grand Vizier. He was President of the Imperial Senate, was the senior most ranking member of the Imperial Ruling Council, and was also custodian of the Imperial Seal.
The position of Grand Vizier was formed after the establishment of the Empire, and may have been a replacement for two pre-existing offices, those of Vice Chair and Staff Aide. The only individual to serve in the office was Sate Pestage. As head of the Imperial Government, Pestage was not only a very powerful bureaucrat, he was a loyal and trusted servant to Palpatine.
Behind the scenesEdit
In a cut scene from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, Sate Pestage was intended to have an appearance as a hologram warning Darth Vader of the Emperor's imminent transmission. He was referred to as the "Grand Vizier." Hints of this scene can be found on the box for Kenner's "Darth Vader's Star Destroyer" playset, explaining that the image in the red plastic viewing screen is the Grand Vizier.
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- Cracken's Rebel Operatives
- "Recon & Report: The Journey to Coruscant"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- The New Essential Guide to Characters (Sate Pestage entry)
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Star Wars Insider 89
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 22
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Grand Vizier on Wikipedia