Grav-ball was a popular sport throughout the galaxy. The sport was often played on the planet Lothal and was big at the Junior Academy of Applied Sciences, which hosted a team called the AppSci SaberCats. During his time at this academy, Zare Leonis was selected as center striker for the team, with his girlfriend Merei Spanjaf playing as the kicker.
Grav-ball had several positions—the center striker, two strikers, wing attackers, a kicker, two fullbacks, two defenders and a keeper. The game had several different sets of rules, such as Corellian rules. It was played on a 64-meter grid which was divided into eight octets. The roll of a chance cube determined which team would start at the center line dividing the fourth and fifth octets.
Behind the scenesEdit
Grav-ball first appeared in the comic X-Wing Rogue Squadron 25: The Making of Baron Fel and was later featured in a number of other stories in the continuity of Star Wars Legends. Though these stories are no longer considered canon, grav-ball was featured in the Star Wars Rebels story Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy, which featured a detailed description of the sport along with depictions of grav-ball matches. The title's author describes the sport as depicted as "like American football with a bit of net-ball and a touch of hockey." He also stated that omitted the use of hover boots from the sport as he did not want it to feel unnecessarily "spacey."
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy (First appearance)
- Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy (Mentioned only)
- Thrawn: Treason (Mentioned only)
- Age of Rebellion - Grand Moff Tarkin 1 (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran (Mentioned only)
- Forces of Destiny: The Rey Chronicles (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)