The Great Chott salt flat was a region in the southern extreme of the Jundland Wastes, on the Outer Rim desert planet of Tatooine. The area was home to dozens of moisture farms, which made up the Great Chott salt flat community.
The Great Chott salt flat was located at the southern extreme of the Jundland Wastes, on the Outer Rim desert planet of Tatooine. Once the seabed of one of Tatooine's vast oceans, the salt flat became a dry expanse of a hard-packed fusion of clay and sodium-rich sand blown in from the Western Dune Sea.
The Great Chott salt flat was home to a community of moisture farmers who owned and operated several dozen farmsteads across the salt flat. Cliegg Lars was among the pioneers of the salt flat, where he built a homestead that was later passed down to his son and daughter-in-law. Jawa scavenging parties often traveled to the moisture farms in sandcrawlers to sell salvaged technology.
Nineteen years after the formation of the Galactic Empire, the Great Chott salt flat gained the attention of the Empire during their search for the Rebel Alliance droids R2-D2 and C-3PO, who were in possession of top-secret plans to the Empire's planet-destroying battle station, the Death Star. During their search, Imperial stormtroopers burned down the Lars moisture farm, killing Owen and Beru.
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 5: The Chosen One, Part V (Vision to Darth Vader)
- Leia Organa: Ordeal of the Princess (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twin Suns"
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars: Heroes Path
- "Reirin"—From a Certain Point of View
- "The Red One"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Time of Death"—From a Certain Point of View (Appears in flashback(s))
- From a Certain Point of View audiobook
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV (Cover only)
- Darth Vader 7: Shadows and Secrets, Part I