- "You will, therefore, be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all-powerful sarlacc."
- ―C-3PO, translating Jabba the Hutt
The Great Pit of Carkoon was a large sand basin located within the Dune Sea, on the desert planet of Tatooine. Inside the pit was a creature known as a sarlacc, which could swallow an individual whole and slowly digest them over one thousand years. Due to its proximity to Jabba the Hutt's palace, the crime lord used the pit and its sarlacc for torturous executions. The pit was the location of the rescue of Han Solo, which took place shortly before the Battle of Endor.
Behind the scenesEdit
The sound of the sarlacc was created from sounds of alligator hisses, as well as the sounds of some of the Jedi crew's stomachs after eating pizza.
- 5-Minute Star Wars Villain Stories
- Star Wars LINE Webtoon
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Boba Fett - The Bounty Hunter"
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Rescue from Jabba's Palace
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- Bloodline (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Home One"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ; image #14 (of 16)
- (First identified as Great Pit of Carkoon)