The Great Pit of Carkoon, also called the Mouth of Sarlacc by Zorba Desilijic Tiure, was located within the Northern Dune Sea on the planet Tatooine. The large depression in the sand was the home of a rapacious, if slow-eating, adult sarlacc.
It was the place of the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon, and the subsequent death of Jabba.
The pit served as a site of execution for Jabba for many years. Although it is unknown how long the sarlacc had resided there, it was most likely present for thousands of years.
In 4 ABY, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca attempted to rescue Han Solo from Jabba the Hutt. After their capture, Jabba took his Rebel prisoners to the pit, to be digested over years by the sarlacc. The prisoners, however, overcame their guards, with the help of R2-D2 and Lando Calrissian. While Luke, Han, Lando and Chewbacca fought on their Skiff and managed to knock Boba Fett into the pit, Leia used the chains she was bound in to strangle Jabba. Luke subsequently destroyed Jabba's sail barge and escaped with the Rebels and the two droids R2-D2 and C-3PO.
Behind the scenesEdit
Filming the Great Pit of Carkoon for Return of the Jedi took place in the Yuma Desert in Arizona in April 1982. The sound of the sarlacc was created from sounds of alligator hisses, as well as the sounds of some of the Jedi crew's stomachs after eating pizza.
The Great Pit of Carkoon was originally supposed to be called the "Sloth Pit," but this was changed prior to the release of the script.
While the original Return of the Jedi showed Boba Fett falling in the pit and then disappearing from view, leaving some freedom to Expanded Universe authors to retcon his escape, the Special Edition CGI beak-maw actually is shown to swallow Fett. However, this makes little difference, as the beak-tongue's insides are the same as those of the pit in general.
The pit was set to be located in a Rakatan temple on Tatooine, and guarding the Tatooine Star Map in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. However, the sarlacc was replaced by a Krayt dragon, and the Rakatan Temple by the Krayt dragon's cave full of ancient Rakatan artifacts.[source?]
The Pit of Carkoon appeared in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. However, unlike the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, which placed the pit in the Northern Dune Sea, Galaxies identified the pit's location as the Western Dune Sea.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- Star Wars: Anakin's Speedway
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- "Fortune, Fate, and the Natural History of the Sarlacc"—Star Wars Tales 6
- "The Revenge of Tag & Bink"—Star Wars Tales 12
- The Return of Tag & Bink: Special Edition
- Choose Your Own Star Wars Adventure: Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed game
- "The Lost Lightsaber"—Star Wars Tales 19 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Word Puzzles
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Coloring Book (1984) (Picture only)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi
- Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Technical Journal of the Planet Tatooine
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (As "Pit of Carkoon")
- Star Wars Technical Journal
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition
- Star Wars: The Power of the Force (1995)
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- C-3PO: Tales of the Golden Droid
- The Anzati"—Star Wars Gamer 1 "
- "The Ultimate Return of the Jedi Insider's Guide"—Star Wars Insider 67
- "Who's Who in the Max Rebo Band"—Star Wars Insider 67
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 2 (GAM3, Gamorreans)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (TAT1, Tatooine)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 5 (CAR1–4, The Battle of the Pit of Carkoon)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 7 (BOM2, B'omarr Brain Walker)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 35 (TAT27-28, Tatooine - The Great Pit of Carkoon)
- Ultimate Adversaries
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (As Sarlacc Pit)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Secrets of Tatooine
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Dangerous Covenants
- Star Wars: What Makes a Monster?
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 149
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- ↑ "The Ultimate Return of the Jedi Insider's Guide"—Star Wars Insider 67
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- ↑ IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STAR WARS GALAXIES. Sony Online Entertainment (2011-06-24). Archived from the original on November 24, 2011. Retrieved on July 25, 2015.