The Great Pit of Carkoon, also called the Mouth of Sarlacc by Zorba Desilijic Tiure, was located within the Northern Dune Sea on the planet Tatooine. The large depression in the sand was the home of a rapacious, if slow-eating, adult sarlacc. Its consciousness was merged to that of its ancient victim, Susejo.
It was the place of the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon, and the subsequent death of Jabba.
- "Jabba takes his sail barge to the Great Pit of Carkoon to feed his enemies to the Sarlacc."
- ―Malakili, to a spacer
The sarlacc had resided in the Pit of Carkoon for around four thousand years by the time of the Galactic Civil War. A Choi named Susejo, who had fallen into the sarlacc by 3996 BBY, would eventually merge his personality with the beast as it remained stationary for millennia. At some point, the gang leader Alkhara had managed to cut a road from his headquarters to the Pit of Carkoon before it was taken over by Jabba the Hutt in the year 516 BBY. Due to the pit being close to his palace, Jabba would begin using it as a means to execute people for his amusement over the course of many years.
After the Battle of Yavin, the constant presence of Jabba's sail barge at the Great Pit of Carkoon had scared off the sarlacc's natural preys. Circa 1 ABY, Jabba's beast master Malakili hired a spacer to kill Jundland eopies in order to collect their livers to feed the sarlacc.
In 4 ABY, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca attempted to rescue Han Solo from Jabba the Hutt. After their capture, Jabba took his Rebel prisoners to the pit, to be digested over years by the sarlacc. The prisoners, however, overcame their guards, with the help of R2-D2 and Lando Calrissian. While Luke, Han, Lando and Chewbacca fought on their Skiff and managed to knock Boba Fett into the pit, Leia used the chains she was bound in to strangle Jabba. Luke subsequently destroyed Jabba's sail barge and escaped with the Rebels and the two droids R2-D2 and C-3PO.
Behind the scenes
Filming the Great Pit of Carkoon for Return of the Jedi took place in the Yuma Desert in Arizona in April 1982. The sound of the sarlacc was created from sounds of alligator hisses, as well as the sounds of some of the Jedi crew's stomachs after eating pizza.
The Great Pit of Carkoon was originally supposed to be called the "Sloth Pit," but this was changed prior to the release of the script.
While the original Return of the Jedi showed Boba Fett falling in the pit and then disappearing from view, leaving some freedom to Expanded Universe authors to retcon his escape, the Special Edition CGI beak-maw actually is shown to swallow Fett. However, this makes little difference, as the beak-tongue's insides are the same as those of the pit in general.
The pit was set to be located in a Rakatan temple on Tatooine, and guarding the Tatooine Star Map in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. However, the sarlacc was replaced by a Krayt dragon, and the Rakatan Temple by the Krayt dragon's cave full of ancient Rakatan artifacts.[source?]
The Pit of Carkoon appeared in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. However, the game incorrectly identified the pit's location as the Western Dune Sea.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- Star Wars: Anakin's Speedway
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- "Fortune, Fate, and the Natural History of the Sarlacc" — Star Wars Tales 6
- "The Revenge of Tag & Bink" — Star Wars Tales 12
- The Return of Tag & Bink: Special Edition
- Choose Your Own Star Wars Adventure: Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed game
- "The Lost Lightsaber" — Star Wars Tales 19 (In flashback(s))
Notes and references
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Legacy Quest: "Shock Rods" on Tatooine
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
- The Mandalorian Armor
- "The Ultimate Return of the Jedi Insider's Guide" – Star Wars Insider 67
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided