- "There is only one plan—one great design which shall govern the universe—mine."
- ―Darth Sidious, to Darth Maul
The Great Plan was a long-percolating plot hatched by the Sith. Originating with the Sith Lord Darth Bane, who had emerged victorious from a devastating conflict among his peers, its aim was to corrupt the Galactic Republic from within, discredit and diminish the Jedi Order, and ultimately rule the galaxy. A millennium after its creation, the Great Plan was fulfilled by Darth Sidious.
- "For a thousand years we have kept to the shadows, not afraid of the Jedi—but ourselves.
The dark side is powerful. It is too powerful.
The weak will meekly stand in regimented order. The Sith…
One master. One apprentice. No more.
Generations building to me."
- ―Darth Sidious lectures Darth Vader
Following the end of the Jedi-Sith War, only one Sith Lord, Darth Bane survived. In the shadows of the galaxy, Bane used tricks, tactics and schemes to destroy the Sith's enemies, conjuring a plan that would corrupt the Galactic Republic from within, diminish the Jedi, and allow the Sith to conquer the galaxy once more. Bane established the Rule of Two from his personal experiences, ancient Sith documents, and the idea of a dyad in the Force, a Force-bond as strong as life itself that pairs two individuals strong in the Force into one in the Force, where the Sith lived on in only a master and an apprentice, with the intention that the latter would grow more powerful with each subsequent succession, which took place with the apprentice killing the master and taking a future replacement. Following Bane's death at the apparent hands of his apprentice, Darth Zannah, she and subsequent Sith continued his plan.
- "I am the first to restore the Sith to their rightful place in the galaxy. As we planned, the Jedi thought the Sith were long gone, we were so inconsequential.
The pomp of the Jedi was insufferable. I set the galaxy aflame, my apprentice. I have purged all weakness and impurity. From the ashes, we would have a new age.
I learned from the mistakes of my forebears. I used those who were not Sith to achieve my aims."
- ―Darth Sidious lectures Darth Vader
Around a millennium after the time of Darth Bane, the Sith Lord's lineage passed down to a Naboo human named Darth Sidious. Sidious, with his public visage as Senator Sheev Palpatine of Naboo, continued with the Great Plan of the Sith where the Jedi believed their adversary was extinct, setting up the galaxy for his maneuvers whilst ensuring that his Sith identity was kept a secret from everyone, including the Jedi.
- "Our best choice would be to push for the election of a stronger Supreme Chancellor, one who could control the bureaucrats and give us justice. You could call for a Vote of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum."
- ―Darth Sidious advises Queen Amidala as Senator Palpatine
Darth Sidious began his play by ordering the Trade Federation to blockade and invade Naboo. Following Queen Padmé Amidala's escape, Palpatine was able to convince her that Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum had no real power or ability in dealing with the Trade Federation's actions. It convinced her to call for a Vote of No Confidence in Valorum before the Galactic Senate of the Republic on the galactic government's capital planet, Coruscant. Palpatine, as expected, was nominated to become the new Supreme Chancellor, and was elected following Amidala's victory against the Trade Federation.
Despite Maul having been seemingly killed by the Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi on Naboo, the crisis presented a new opportunity in the form of a vergence in the Force—Anakin Skywalker, a young boy whom the Jedi believed to be the Chosen One, one who would bring balance to the Force. Sidious thus took a great interest in Skywalker, manipulating the boy against the Jedi as Palpatine, even as the Chosen One was accepted into the Jedi Order and received training from Obi-Wan Kenobi, who was newly-knighted for defeating Maul.
The Clone WarsEdit
- "What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of the Dark Lord of the Sith?"
"No, that's not possible. The Jedi would be aware of it."
"The dark side of the Force has clouded their vision, my friend. Hundreds of senators are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious."
"I don't believe you."
"The Viceroy of the Trade Federation was once in league with this Darth Sidious, but he was betrayed ten years ago by the Dark Lord."
- ―Count Dooku and Obi-Wan Kenobi
A secret armyEdit
With the apparent death of his apprentice, Darth Maul, Sidious took on former Jedi Master Dooku as his new apprentice, Darth Tyranus. Sidious and Tyranus eventually learned about former Jedi High Council member Master Sifo-Dyas's idea to order an army for the Republic in case of a civil war. To ensure Sifo-Dyas's silence, Dooku contacted Lom Pyke of the Pyke Syndicate, and as Tyranus, paid the Pykes to kill Sifo-Dyas. However, unbeknownst to Tyranus, the Pykes kept Chancellor Vallorum's aide, Silman, alive as insurance against the Sith Lord.
Following Sifo-Dyas's death, Tyranus recruited and paid bounty hunter Jango Fett to be the clone template for the Kaminoans. Tyranus also supplied the Kaminoan cloners with a behavioral modification biochip, but told them to keep its "safeguard" order a secret from the Jedi.
The galaxy aflameEdit
- "[…] Darth Tyranus…he was a proton torpedo. He served his purpose and was gone…I had a superior candidate in mind."
- ―Darth Sidious lectures Darth Vader
Tyranus, as Count Dooku, continued to recruit corporations and star systems into the Separatist movement. With the outbreak of war on Geonosis in 22 BBY, the Jedi took up arms and led the newly-found clone troopers against the onslaught of the Separatist Droid Army. Thus began the Clone Wars, and as the conflict raged on and more Jedi fell to battle, Darth Sidious continued to amass economic and political power for the Office of the Supreme Chancellor, allowing himself, as Palpatine, to sway ever more support in the Senate and rule the InterGalactic Banking Clan that supplied financial aid to both the Republic and the Separatists.
A New OrderEdit
- "With your help, the Jedi can stop Sidious before it's too late."
"Too late for what? The Republic to fall? It already has, and you just can't see it! There is no justice, no law, no order, except for the one that will replace it!"
- ―Ahsoka Tano and renegade Sith Lord Maul
The Great Plan came to fruition when the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Sidious, successfully seduced Anakin Skywalker to commit fully to the dark side of the Force and anointed him as the Sith Lord Darth Vader after Skywalker killed Tyranus during the Battle of Coruscant. Together, they commanded the clones of the Republic to turn against their Jedi commanders under whom they had served for three years, thereby initiating the Great Jedi Purge. As thousands of members of the Jedi Order were slaughtered, Darth Sidious addressed the Galactic Senate as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and proclaimed the reorganization of the Republic into the First Galactic Empire and declared himself Emperor.
Return of the JediEdit
- "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Darth Sidious
Although the Great Plan was realized, the New Order and the reign of the Sith did not last. Darth Sidious' Galactic Empire was toppled by the Alliance to Restore the Republic and surviving Jedi in the Galactic Civil War. Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda of the fallen Jedi Order trained the offspring of Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, in the Jedi ways, ensuring the return of the Jedi. Confronting his father and Darth Sidious, Luke Skywalker's plead for help against the wrath of the Emperor convinced Darth Vader—the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker—to save Luke and overthrow Darth Sidious; the Dark Lord was destroyed as he fell into an abyss aboard his new battle station, and balance was restored to the Force.
However, death was not the end for Sidious; the Sith's spirit retreated to the hidden Sith redoubt of Exegol on the fringes of the galaxy, joining with Sith Eternal cultists through new clone bodies. From Exegol, Sidious manipulated the New Republic and forged the remnants of his fallen Empire into the First Order, something unbeknownst to even the highest echelons of First Order leadership. Sidious created Snoke, who went on to rule the First Order as Supreme Leader, his origins unknown to the First Order's leaders. Meanwhile, the Cosmic Force—an aspect of the Force that bound all things and communicated to living sapient beings, and which formed a balanced, symbiotic relationship with the Living Force, the energy of all life—became dormant after the Galactic Civil War, only to be reawakened with certain individuals' realization of their latent Force abilities in 34 ABY. Such individuals included Rey, a scavenger on Jakku, who did not know that she was, in fact, the granddaughter of Darth Sidious.
End of the SithEdit
- "You are nothing! A scavenger girl who is no match for the power in me. I am all the Sith!"
"And I… am all the Jedi."
- ―Darth Sidious and Rey
In 35 ABY, with the New Republic having been decapitated and large swathes of the galaxy having fallen to the First Order during their war against the Resistance, Darth Sidious returned to reconquer the galaxy in full force. With an armada of planet-destroying warships, the Final Order, the Sith Lord and cultists intended to establish a New Empire. As the Sith fleet prepared to strike at the embattled galaxy, the Dark Lord made efforts to corrupt Jedi into his minions, reaching out to the heir of the previous war's heroes—Ben Solo.
When the Jedi student Rey guided Ben Solo back to the light thanks to her newfound understanding with him—which was formed by their Force dyad, the power of which was unseen for generations—and surfaced to the Emperor's attention, the Sith sought to abandon his crippled body and transfer his essence over to his granddaughter. However, with her affinity to the Force and the support of the Jedi before her, Rey willed against Darth Sidious, ultimately obliterating the Sith Lord's physical vessel and putting an end to the threat of the Sith. Rey fell, but was resuscitated from death by Ben Solo, who gave his life for hers.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Sith plot to retake the galaxy was first identified as the Great Plan in Star Wars Helmet Collection 2, released by De Agostini in 2016. In Star Wars Legends, the plan was identified as the Grand Plan in the 2012 novel Darth Plagueis, authored by James Luceno.
- Age of Republic - Darth Maul 1 (Indirect mention only)
- Queen's Peril (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge" (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir 4 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Phantom Apprentice" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shattered" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III–Antilles) (First identified as Great Plan)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 10 (Databank A-Z: Chewbacca–Cloud City)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Sith)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Databank A-Z: Dooku–Dwarf Spider Droids)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 16 (Highlights of the Saga: The Fall of the Jedi)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 20 (Databank A-Z: Saw Gerrera–Commander Gree)