- "This was gathered in the Great Purge."
- ―An armorer to the Mandalorian bounty hunter on the Beskar he obtained
The Great Purge was an event in which the Galactic Empire came into conflict with the Mandalorians. The event resulted in the Empire gathering beskar and most of the Mandalorian people being killed, forcing the Tribe to operate in secrecy.
- "These were cast in an Imperial smelter. These are the spoils of the Great Purge. The reason why we live hidden like sand rats."
- ―Paz Vizla on Imperial-forged beskar
The Great Purge occurred sometime in the Imperial Era against the Mandalorians by the Galactic Empire. It was during this time that Mandalorian Beskar was gathered and cast into Imperial smelters as spoils of the Purge, and most of the Mandalorians were killed. The event led to the Mandalorian group known as the Tribe operating in secrecy after the fall of the Empire in 5 ABY.
- "Our secrecy is our survival. Our survival is our strength."
"Our strength was once in our numbers. Now we live in the shadows and only come above ground one at a time. Our world was shattered by the Empire, with whom this coward shares tables."
- ―The Armorer and Paz Vizla
By 9 ABY an Imperial remnant had quantities of beskar from the Great Purge, and used one piece as a down payment with the rest in a camtono for hiring the bounty hunter known as "the Mandalorian" for a job. The Mandalorian later brought the down payment of beskar to the Armorer of the Tribe, who stated that it was gathered in the Great Purge.
After the Mandalorian completed the job and gave the bounty to the Imperial remnant, he was fully paid with the rest of the beskar. When the Mandalorian brought the camtono of beskar back to the enclave to give to the armorer, it captured the attention of the other Mandalorian warriors. There, Paz Vizla confronted the Armorer and the Mandalorian, and spoke about how the beskar was cast in an Imperial smelter, and reminisced about how the Great Purge was the reason the Tribe was operating in secrecy like sand rats.
The Armorer countered that their secrecy was their survival and their strength, to which Vizla said that their strength was from their numbers, and now they were forced to go above ground one at a time. Vizla then turned his attention to the Mandalorian, and continued to say that the Empire shattered their world and that the Mandalorian was in cooperation with them. Vizla attacked the Mandalorian, although the confrontation was defused by the Armorer.
While the Mandalorian was on a mission to rescue a prisoner with a team of mercenaries, the Devaronian Burg questioned why he was part of the team, to which fellow mercenary Mayfeld replied the Mandalorians were believed to be the strongest warriors in the galaxy. Burg then asked why they had all died.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 1" (First mentioned)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 3" (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 6" (Indirect mention only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 7" (Indirect mention only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 8" (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 The Mandalorian – "Chapter 1"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 The Mandalorian – "Chapter 3"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Mandalorian – "Chapter 6"
- ↑ The Mandalorian – "Chapter 8"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ According to a timeline shown at D23 Expo 2019, The Mandalorian is set five years after Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Return of the Jedi to 4 ABY, meaning that The Mandalorian is set in 9 ABY.