Schisms in history
- First Great Schism — Led to the Legions of Lettow, led by Xendor
- Second Great Schism — The exile of the Dark Jedi to the worlds that became the Sith Empire
- Third Great Schism — A Jedi conflict that took place during the Vultar Cataclysm
- Fourth Great Schism — Led to the New Sith Wars and a large Sith presence for a thousand years
Although the Great Schisms were started by splits in the Jedi Order, which led to war or a great calamity, neither the Sith War started by Exar Kun nor the Jedi Civil War started by Darth Revan were termed Great Schisms, though they were instigated by factions from the Second Schism (Naga Sadow and the Sith Emperor, respectively).
Behind the scenes
The third and fourth schisms remain largely untold. Their main appearances have been mostly in reference books like the Essential Guides line. The fourth was originally based on background notes from George Lucas for the prequel trilogy.
- The New Essential Chronology
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
- Nexus of Power