- "But we have been a military force in the past. In fact, our predecessors waged and won the Great Sith War."
- ―Oppo Rancisis
The Great Sith War was a conflict fought between the Jedi Order and Sith prior to the Great Disaster. According to Jedi Master Oppo Rancisis, the Jedi won the war. In 232 BBY, Rancisis cited the Jedi's victory in the war during a Jedi High Council debate over whether the Order was obliged to assist the Republic Defense Coalition in hunting down the Nihil raiders. Ultimately, the vote was narrowly decided in favor of Jedi participation, leading to the Battle of Kur.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Great Sith War was first canonically mentioned in the 2021 novel The High Republic: Light of the Jedi. In the Star Wars Legends continuity, the Great Sith War was a conflict in 3996 BBY between a Sith faction headed by Exar Kun and an alliance of the Galactic Republic and Jedi Order.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (First mentioned, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars 9 states that the Sith came about from the Hundred-Year Darkness. As the name of the Great Sith War indicates that the Sith fought in it, it must have occurred after the Hundred-Year Darkness.
- Ultimate Star Wars states that the Sith were nearly annihilated in the Jedi-Sith War, which drove Darth Bane, the final survivor, to create the Rule of Two, as stated in Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice". As the Jedi-Sith War was the last major war between the Jedi and Sith, this war must have occurred prior to it.
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The Star Wars Book dates the launch of the Starlight Beacon to 232 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 232 BBY in the calendar system used by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As The High Republic: Light of the Jedi depicts the launch, its events, including Oppo Rancisis' mention of the Great Sith War, must occur in that year.
- The New Essential Chronology
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide