The greater krayt dragon was the larger subspecies of krayt dragon, a predatory reptile from Tatooine. It would submerge itself in the shifting sands, using its strong limbs to swim through the dunes.
Behind the scenesEdit
The greater krayt dragon first appeared, albeit as a skeleton in the Tatooine desert, in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The skeleton used to portray the greater krayt dragon consisted of fiberglass replica sauropod bones originally built for the 1975 Disney comedy One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing and was left in the Tunisian desert after filming was completed. In 1995, Dr. David West Reynolds, archeologist and contributor to the magazine Star Wars Insider, visted the Tunisian location and found the bones untouched for almost two decades with paleontologist Dr. Micheal J. Ryan, who was investigating the Roman ruins and paleontological resources of Tunisia with Dr. Reynolds.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Skeleton only) (DLC)
- Bounty Hunt (Skeleton only)
- Star Wars Battlefront (Skeleton only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance) (Skeleton only)
- Star Wars 71: Rebels and Rogues, Part IV (Skeleton only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Greater krayt dragon)