Biology and appearance
The greater krayt dragon was one of several species of krayt dragons, giant carnivorous reptiles found on Tatooine. They were characterized by their long neck, whip-like tail, horns, sharp teeth, and five pairs of legs.
The greater krayt dragons evolved on Tatooine, a desert planet located in the Outer Rim region of the galaxy. In 0 BBY, C-3PO came across the skeleton of a deceased juvenile greater krayt dragon while lost in the Dune Sea.
Greater krayt dragons in the galaxy
Behind the scenes
The greater krayt dragon first appeared, albeit as a skeleton in the Tatooine desert, in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The skeleton used to portray the greater krayt dragon consisted of fiberglass replica sauropod bones originally built for the 1975 Disney comedy One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing and was left in the Tunisian desert after filming was completed. In 1995, Dr. David West Reynolds, archeologist and contributor to the magazine Star Wars Insider, visted the Tunisian location and found the bones untouched for almost two decades with paleontologist Dr. Micheal J. Ryan, who was investigating the Roman ruins and paleontological resources of Tunisia with Dr. Reynolds.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Skeleton only) (DLC)
- Bounty Hunt (Skeleton only)
- Star Wars Battlefront (Skeleton only)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi – "Part I" (Carcass)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance) (Skeleton only)
- Star Wars (2015) 71 (Skeleton only) (In flashback(s))
- The Book of Boba Fett – "Chapter 4: The Gathering Storm" (Skeleton only) (as art) (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 1" (In flashback(s)) (Statue only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Skeleton only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as greater krayt dragon)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 34 (Databank A-Z: Davish Krail–Kuat Drive Yards)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition