- "The Separatist fleet commanded by General Grievous is headed your way."
"Seems like that coward always knows where and when to attack us."
"You're heavily outnumbered, Anakin. I advise retreat."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, prior to the Battle of Bothawui
Grievous's frigate was a Munificent-class star frigate that served in the naval forces of the Confederacy of Independent Systems as the flagship of the Separatist General Grievous during the Clone Wars. In 22 BBY, the frigate, alongside a fleet of several other Munificents, came into battle with the Galactic Republic fleet of Jedi General Anakin Skywalker. During the confrontation, Grievous's frigate was destroyed by numerous All Terrain Tactical Enforcers hidden throughout the planet Bothawui's asteroid field, forcing the general to flee the frigate aboard his personal starfighter, Soulless One.
- "All power to the forward shields."
- ―General Grievous, after an asteroid hits his frigate
Grievous's frigate was a 825-meter long, 426-meter wide, and 243-meter tall Munificent-class star frigate that was equipped with seven ion drive thrusters, a hyperdrive generator, and two long-range hyperwave transceiver masts. Along its port and starboard hull, Grievous's frigate was additionally equipped with ten docking rings. Mounted at the prow were two heavy turbolaser cannons and two long-range heavy ion cannons, and the frigate was also armed with thirty-four twin light turbolaser cannons (seventeen port, seventeen starboard).
The Munificent carried several Vulture-class droid starfighters and General Grievous's personal Belbullab-22 heavy starfighter, Soulless One, within its hangar bay. Either side of the frigate's hull featured the emblem of the Confederacy of Independent Systems.
Flagship of General Grievous
- "Move our ships through the asteroid field to engage them."
- ―Grievous orders his fleet to go through the asteroids
Following the destruction of the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence at the Battle of the Kaliida Nebula during the Clone Wars in 22 BBY, the Kaleesh Separatist General Grievous was forced to use a series of Munificent-class star frigates as his flagships. Later in the same year, Grievous used a Munificent alongside a fleet of five others in a series of attacks against Galactic Republic forces throughout the galaxy, eventually leading the fleet to the planet Bothawui in order to capture it for the Confederacy.
Arriving at Bothawui, Grievous was informed by his OOM command battle droid that a Republic fleet of three Venator-class Star Destroyers led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker was positioned beyond the planet's asteroid belt. In response, the Kaleesh decided to implement an unusual tactic; to prevent a rear attack, the fleet was ordered to advance through the field, passing through its various zones along the way, such as zones six, five, four, and three. While moving through the area, the hull of Grievous's frigate was struck by one of the asteroids, which prompted the general to order his crew to direct all power to the vessel's forward shields. As the frigates came into range of the Republic fleet, Grievous ordered them to open fire on the Star Destroyers, disabling one of them in the process. Thus, Skywalker, who was leading a squadron of V-19 Torrent starfighters, was forced to engage the Separatist fleet.
- "Let's finish this. All batteries, target that command bucket."
- ―Ahsoka Tano orders the fleet to destroy Grievous's frigate
However, despite the loss of only two of his fighters, Skywalker ordered his squadron to take evasive action, resulting in numerous All Terrain Tactical Enforcers positioned throughout the asteroid field to be revealed at the Jedi's behest. The walkers then opened fire from the frigates' behind and destroyed the vessels, and Grievous was forced to flee his doomed ship in his personal starfighter, Soulless One, leaving his OOM command battle droid in charge. As Grievous fled the battle-zone, Skywalker's Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, who was aboard the Star Destroyer Resolute, ordered the fleet to target and destroy the Separatist flagship.
Following the battle, the wreckage of Grievous's frigate remained in the asteroid belt, where the debris of it and the other frigates were searched by Trandoshan scavenger Gha Nachkt. After the frigate's destruction, Grievous used another Munificent-class star frigate as his flagship.
Behind the scenes
Grievous's frigate first appeared in the opening newsreel of "Rising Malevolence," the second episode of the first season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, which originally aired on October 3, 2008. The frigate later made its full appearance in "Downfall of a Droid," the first season's sixth episode, which aired on November 7 of that same year. It was later identified in the fortieth issue of De Agostini's Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon magazine series, published around October 7, 2015.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence" (First appearance) (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duel of the Droids" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 40 (Starship Fact File: Modified Belbullab-22 – Soulless One) (First identified as Grievous's frigate)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 75 (Starship Fact File: General Grievous's Invisible Hand) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- "Downfall of a Droid" establishes that Grievous's frigate is a Munificent-class star frigate, which measures 825 meters in length, 426 meters in width, and 243 meters in height according to Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles and Star Wars: Complete Vehicles.
- "Downfall of a Droid" depicts Grievous's frigate with what Star Wars: Complete Vehicles identifies as ion drive thrusters, of which Munificent-class star frigates possess seven.
- "Downfall of a Droid" depicts the prow of Grievous's frigate mounted with what Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles identifies as heavy turbolaser cannons and long-range heavy turbolaser cannons; Munificents possess two of each.
- "Downfall of a Droid" depicts Grievous's frigate with thirty-four—seventeen port, seventeen starboard—of what Rise of the Separatists identifies as twin light turbolaser cannons.
- "Downfall of a Droid" depicts Grievous's frigate with what Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles identifies as long-range hyperwave transceiver masts, of which Munificent-class star frigates possess two.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi" in 22 BBY. According to , "Downfall of a Droid" is set between those two pieces of media and therefore also in 22 BBY. Since the events of that episode include the destruction of Grievous's frigate at the Fervse'dra asteroid belt, it must have occurred in that year.
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 40 (Starship Fact File: Modified Belbullab-22 – Soulless One)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi" in 22 BBY. According to , "Destroy Malevolence" is set between those two pieces of media and therefore also in 22 BBY.
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 75 (Starship Fact File: General Grievous's Invisible Hand)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- The second issue of the De Agostini weekly magazine Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon was set to be published on January 14, 2015, according to Therefore, it can be calculated that Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 40 was published around October 7, 2015.