Grindalids were a worm-like sentient species native to Persis IX, an Expansion Region planet with a dense atmosphere that blocked out sunlight. Grindalids had photosensitive skin that caused them to burn when exposed to sunlight. Lady Proxima led the White Worms on Corellia during the Imperial Era, alongside fellow Grindalids Moloch and Jabbat. Han Solo later exploited her vulnerability to light in order to escape the lair, twice.
Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
Sentient annelids with similarities to worm and insect species, Grindalids were native to Persis IX, a homeworld with a dense atmosphere that rendered them light-adverse. Because of this, their squinting, sensitive eyes were easily damaged on lighter worlds, and their photosensitive skin burned and blistered when exposed to direct sunlight. Some wore protective clothing when outside, consisting of articulated faceplates, flexible cowl armor, long coats, gloves, and full-seal armored coverings.
Grindalids hatched from eggs and lived in watery pools as youngsters. They had pale faces, squinting eyes, and large, curved heads. While seemingly humanoid in appearance while wearing armored coverings, Grindalids had tapered tail segments in place of legs. Some were capable of impersonating a humanoid walk through extensive practice. Grindalids possessed two primary, if stubby, arms, with many more pairs of shorter pincers running the length of their wrinkled, serpentine bodies.
Society and culture[edit | edit source]
- "You'll never know how much it pains me to destroy something as beautiful as you."
- ―Moloch, to Qi'ra
Some Grindalids were spiritual: Moloch believed in the promise of an afterlife with endless riches. Others adorned their bodies with trinkets and jewels: Proxima wore plates and rings down the length of her back.
History[edit | edit source]
Following the fall of the Republic, several members of the species formed the White Worms, a gang of scrumrats in the slums of Corellia. The gang was led by the Grindalid crime lord Lady Proxima from her Den, assisted by Moloch. She issued orders from the watery pool in which she resided with her young hatchlings.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Into the Dark (Mentioned only)
- Most Wanted
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: A Junior Novel
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Meet the Crew
- Star Wars: Solo Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 1
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 3 (In flashback(s))
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 1
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 2 (In flashback(s))
- Doctor Aphra 7
- "Flight of the Falcon, Part 4: Lady and the Tramp"—Star Wars Adventures 17
- "Flight of the Falcon, Part 5: Grand Theft Falcon"—Star Wars Adventures 18 (Appears in hologram)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First pictured)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Star Wars: The Galactic Explorer's Guide
- (First identified as Grindalid)