- "Once Maz lifted her prohibition on pointy things, I brought my skewers out of retirement and started grillin' up these savory stickes of meat and veg again."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Gruuvan Shaal Kebabs were a type of traditional Twi'lek kebab made from meats and vegetables that were skewered on sticks. The kebabs were consumable by Twi'leks and Artiodacs and were considered savory. For some time, the skewers of the Gruuvan Shaal Kebabs were banned from Takodana Castle on the planet Takodana because Maz Kanata, owner of the castle, had outlawed all utensils in order to prevent fighting. She eventually decided to lift the ban on utensils, so her chef, Strono Tuggs, brought out his skewers and began grilling the kebabs once more.
In 34 ABY, Tuggs published a recipe for the kebabs in his The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook. In the book, he noted that they were a classic Twi'lek dish, and he shared the story of their temporary ban at Takodana Castle.
Behind the scenes
Gruuvan Shaal Kebabs were introduced to the new Star Wars canon in the 2019 recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was authored by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak. The out-of-universe recipe for the dish calls for red curry paste, soy sauce, garam masala, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, alligator meat or chicken meat, a green bell pepper, and a red onion.
Gruuvan shaal was originally introduced to the Star Wars Legends continuity in the 1998 campaign guide The Far Orbit Project, written by Timothy S. O'Brien and published by West End Games for use with Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. It then made a full appearance in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.
- The Far Orbit Project
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Item: "Gruuvan shaal"