The Grysk Hegemony was the hegemony controlled by the warlike and nomadic Grysk species in the Unknown Regions. Throughout its establishment, the Grysk Hegemony fought against the Chiss Ascendancy, as well as other factions and species. During the reign of the Galactic Empire, the Grysks began to make advancements into Imperial territory.
Establishment and conquestEdit
- "These are some of the artistic pieces that have been created in memorial by survivors of Grysk conquests."
- ―Thrawn, to his Imperial subordinates and colleagues
The Grysk Hegemony was an empire established and controlled by the Grysks. Located in the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, their empire established the Grysk military and fought against the Chiss Ascendancy and other groups and species, scourging a series of conquests throughout the region. At times, the Chiss Ascendancy only observed battles, instead of participating in them. In the aftermath, survivors of the conquests created art pieces in memorial, while Grysk warriors degraded the right side of their helmets and armor.
- "I propose two questions. First: How did the Grysks know that cortosis would be an effective defense against blasters and lightsabers?"
"You suggest they were studying us as far back as the Clone Wars?"
"I do, my Lord. After all, the Chiss were watching you. Why not the Grysks? My second question: Once the Grysks knew the value of cortosis against blasters and lightsabers, how did the Separatists gain that knowledge?"
- ―Thrawn, explaining to Darth Vader Grysk activities during the Clone Wars
When the Clone Wars erupted in the wider-known parts of the galaxy between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the Grysk Hegemony began and conducted surveillance on both galactic governments in order to study them, and later deduced that the Galactic Republic was more dangerous to them than the Confederacy. In order to weaken the Republic, the Hegemony supplied Confederate Head of State Count Dooku with information on cortosis, an element that was provided an effective defense against blasters and lightsabers. The Confederacy then established a factory on Mokivj and produced B2 super battle droids with cortosis armor. What the Hegemony did not anticipate, however, was that the factory began producing Republic clone trooper armor. Unknown to the Hegemony, Count Dooku was the Sith apprentice of Darth Sidious, who was publicly Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine and secretly led both galactic governments during the Clone Wars. Sidious believed that by adding cortosis to clone armor, Republic clone troopers were better protected when they eventually betrayed the Jedi Order.
The Grysk Hegemony was a hegemony, that being an authoritarian government similar to an empire.
The Grysk Hegemony was an enemy of the Chiss Ascendancy, as well as other organizations and species. Despite this, the Hegemony had active alliances with other factions. The Hegemony also allied itself with the Confederacy of Independent Systems by supplying it with critical information in an attempt to weaken the Galactic Republic. When the Republic transitioned into the Galactic Empire, the Hegemony maintained previous hostile relations and was involved in a conflict with them, and also intruded on Imperial territory.
Because the Hegemony had been surveying the Empire, they were aware of Imperial-class Star Destroyers, the capabilities and limits of TIE starfighters, and other Imperial weaponry and technology. As such, they utilized that knowledge in combat against Imperial forces.
- "Grysks are a species living somewhere in the Unknown Regions. Creatures half of myth, whom few have ever seen. It is said that they are nomads, with no fixed home, traveling in spacecraft so numerous they blot out the stars. They are said to be terrifying warriors, overwhelming their opponents by sheer numbers and ferocity."
- ―Thrawn, to Darth Vader
The Grysk Hegemony was located in the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, and although they maintained a homeworld and displayed characteristics of being a settled and centered government, they were described as nomadic with no one fixed home due to perceptions born out of their unfamiliar technology and tactics during war. The location of the Hegemony's area of influence and control brought them into conflict with the Chiss Ascendancy and other groups and species, and during the Imperial Lothal campaign, had already begun intruding on the Galactic Empire's territory.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Grysk Hegemony first appeared, although unnamed, in the 2018 canon novel by Timothy Zahn, Thrawn: Alliances. It were later identified in the sequel to the novel, Thrawn: Treason, also authored by Zahn and released in 2019.
- Thrawn: Alliances (First appearance, simultaneous with Thrawn: Alliances audiobook)
- Thrawn: Alliances audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with Thrawn: Alliances)
- Thrawn: Treason (First identified as Grysk Hegemony, simultaneous with Thrawn: Treason audiobook)
- Thrawn: Treason audiobook (First identified as Grysk Hegemony, simultaneous with Thrawn: Treason)