Guerrilla warfare, also known as guerrilla tactics, is a form of irregular warfare where a small group fights off a larger force via unconventional tactics. Strategies falling under guerrilla warfare include ambushes, sabotage, raids, and hit-and-run tactics. Guerrilla warfare is often the mainstay of small military units that lack sufficient resources to attack a major power or rogue terrorist or rebel groups that don't have the military hardware or personnel to maintain a steady state conflict. In extreme cases, guerrilla warfare can even utilize borderline terroristic measures such as holding hostages. Largely because of the fact that guerrilla warfare was technically not part of the standards of warfare, it was generally used by terrorist groups, revolutionaries, outlaws, or people who have been pushed to their limit, although in some cases, even larger groups can engage in it regarding special forces. Those who practiced such tactics were generally called guerrillas.
During the Clone Wars, the Republic proceeded to aid and train various militia groups, including the rebels on Onderon. During this event, Obi-Wan Kenobi agreed to help train the Onderon rebels in their fight against Sanjay Rash, but made clear that they won't fight their war for them. The Confederacy of Independent Systems would also train anti- Republic fighters such as Cassian Andor's insurrectionist cell. The Onderon rebels, including Saw Gerrera, being trained by the Republic would later come back to haunt their successors, the Galactic Empire, later on when they became members of the Partisans who operated at Jedha City on Jedha until it was destroyed by the Death Star.
Following the Battle of Crait, the Resistance got reduced to guerrilla fighters who, in spite of their situation, still opposed the First Order while seeking to restore justice and the New Republic.
- Master & Apprentice (Indirect mention only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Truitt, Brian (2018-08-28, 12:30pm PST). 'Star Wars': Oscar Isaac says Carrie Fisher's still 'with us' filming 'Episode IX'. USA Today. amp.usatoday.com. Retrieved on August 30, 2018.