Guerrilla warfare, also known as guerrilla tactics, or Asymmetric warfare was a form of irregular warfare where a small group would fight off a larger force via unconventional tactics. Unlike conventional warfare one opposing force is typically not a standardized army or military force; nor possesses the significant resources needed to sustain a lengthy campaign. Strategies falling under guerrilla warfare included ambushes, sabotage, raids, and hit-and-run tactics. Guerrilla warfare was often the mainstay of small military units that lacked sufficient resources to attack a major power and rogue terrorist or rebel groups that didn't have the military hardware or personnel to maintain a steady state conflict. In extreme cases, guerrilla warfare could even utilize borderline terroristic measures, such as holding hostages. Largely because of the fact that guerrilla warfare was technically not part of the standards of warfare, it was generally used by terrorist groups, revolutionaries, outlaws, or people who had been pushed to their limit, although in some cases, even larger groups could engage in it regarding special forces. Those who practiced guerrilla tactics were generally called guerrillas.
During the Clone Wars, the Republic proceeded to aid and train various militia groups, including the rebels on Onderon. During this event, Obi-Wan Kenobi agreed to help train the Onderon rebels in their fight against Sanjay Rash, but made clear that they wouldn't fight their war for them. The Confederacy of Independent Systems would also train anti-Republic fighters, such as Cassian Andor's insurrectionist cell. The Onderon rebels, including Saw Gerrera, being trained by the Republic, would later come back to haunt its successor, the Galactic Empire, when they became members of the Partisans, who operated at Jedha City on Jedha until it was destroyed by the Death Star.
Following the Battle of Crait, the Resistance were reduced to guerrilla fighters who, in spite of their situation, still opposed the First Order while seeking to restore justice and the New Republic.
- Master & Apprentice (Indirect mention only)
- Master & Apprentice audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel audiobook
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story audiobook
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Alphabet Squadron (Mentioned only)
- Alphabet Squadron audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Fall
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (Indirect mention only)
- A Crash of Fate (Mentioned only)
- A Crash of Fate audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 20 (Helmets: Rebel Trooper)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 23 (Helmets: Rebel Commando)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Truitt, Brian (2018-08-28, 12:30pm PST). 'Star Wars': Oscar Isaac says Carrie Fisher's still 'with us' filming 'Episode IX'. USA Today. amp.usatoday.com. Retrieved on August 30, 2018.
- Guerrilla warfare on Wikipedia