Gungan whistles were a type of wind instrument made and used by the Gungans of the planet Naboo. They consisted of a brown-colored wide flat body with a central hole and a mouthpiece on one side. The whistles could also have various Gungan symbols etched into them. The Gungan Grand Army used them as a method of military communication, as they favored traditional methods that could not be electronically jammed.
In 32 BBY, Captain Roos Tarpals carried a Gungan whistle with him while fighting on the Great Grass Plains during the Battle of Naboo. After the Trade Federation Droid Army successfully destroyed the Gungan army's deflector shield generator, Tarpals blew the whistle to signal that his forces should retreat.
Behind the scenesEdit
A Gungan whistle first appeared in the 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. They were first identified in the 2017 reference book Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as Gungan whistle)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which includes the whistle's appearance, to 32 BBY.