Gwellis Bagnoro was a mysterious Onodone male who rarely talked about his past. He worked as an expert forger specializing in transit documents thirty years after the Battle of Endor. He was present in the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata on the planet Takodana in 34 ABY.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
- "Um...Gwellis? You in here? It's Han. Han Solo. From Corellia."
- ―Han Solo
Life on Ogem[edit | edit source]
- "I better look after this after this until Gwellis wakes up. See you around Gwarm."
- ―Han Solo to Gwarm
At some point before the Galactic Civil War, Bagnoro and his protective pet barghest, Izby, lived in a cave on the planet Ogem. On Ogem, Bagnoro had the third and final droid that contained the treasure of Rane Mahal.
New Republic Era[edit | edit source]
Bagnoro was also present in the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata on the planet Takodana with his pet barghest Izby when the smuggler Han Solo arrived with the astromech droid BB-8, the scavenger Rey and the ex-stormtrooper Finn. Shortly after Solo's arrival, the First Order destroyed the planets of the Hosnian system with their Starkiller Base superweapon, an event which was visible from Takodana's surface and so drew many of the patrons of the castle out to watch in horror. The castle itself was then attacked and destroyed by the forces of the First Order.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Gwellis Bagnoro was created for Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, where he appeared briefly as a background character in Maz Kanata's castle. The character was first revealed to the public through an exclusive article on the website of Vanity Fair in May 2015, seven months before the film's release. Neither the article nor the film identified the character, but his name was revealed in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, which was written by Pablo Hidalgo and released the same day as the film. Bagnoro was portrayed by an uncredited Arti Shah.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- "Droid Hunters"—Star Wars Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2019 (Appears in flashback(s))
- "The Face of Evil"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Datapad
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Gwellis Bagnoro)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Star Wars: Datapad
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge takes place between 34 ABY and 35 ABY. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Star Wars: Datapad states that Gwellis Bagnoro was 51 years during the events of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, meaning he was born in around 17 BBY. This tweet confirms that
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- "Droid Hunters"—Star Wars Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2019
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Leibovitz, Annie (2015-05-04). Adam Driver and Lupita Nyong'o's Characters Revealed in Exclusive Star Wars: The Force Awakens Photos. Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on May 4, 2015. Retrieved on May 4, 2015.