Gwellis Bagnoro was a mysterious Onodone male who rarely talked about his past. He worked as an expert forger specializing in transit documents thirty years after the Battle of Endor. He was present in the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata on the planet Takodana in 34 ABY.
- "Um...Gwellis? You in here? It's Han. Han Solo. From Corellia."
- ―Han Solo
Life on Ogem
- "I better look after this after this until Gwellis wakes up. See you around Gwarm."
- ―Han Solo to Gwarm
At some point before the Galactic Civil War, Bagnoro and his protective pet barghest, Izby, lived in a cave on the planet Ogem. On Ogem, Bagnoro had the third and final droid that contained the treasure of Rane Mahal.
New Republic Era
Bagnoro was also present in the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata on the planet Takodana with his pet barghest Izby when the smuggler Han Solo arrived with the astromech droid BB-8, the scavenger Rey and the ex-stormtrooper Finn. Shortly after Solo's arrival, the First Order destroyed the planets of the Hosnian system with their Starkiller Base superweapon, an event which was visible from Takodana's surface and so drew many of the patrons of the castle out to watch in horror. The castle itself was then attacked and destroyed by the forces of the First Order.
Behind the scenes
Gwellis Bagnoro was created for Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, where he appeared briefly as a background character in Maz Kanata's castle. The character was first revealed to the public through an exclusive article on the website of Vanity Fair in May 2015, seven months before the film's release. Neither the article nor the film identified the character, but his name was revealed in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, which was written by Pablo Hidalgo and released the same day as the film. Bagnoro was portrayed by an uncredited Arti Shah.
- "Droid Hunters"—Star Wars Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2019 (In flashback(s))
- "The Face of Evil"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Choose Your Destiny: A Maz's Castle Mission
- Star Wars: Datapad
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Gwellis Bagnoro)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 59 (Weapons & Uniforms: Denizens of Maz Kanata's Castle)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Star Wars: Datapad
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire begins concurrent with the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, then jumps four months ahead to the Resistance establishing its presence on Batuu, and concludes with an epilogue set several weeks later, when the First Order occupies the planet and the Battle of Batuu begins. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is also set during the occupation of Batuu and depicts the Battle of Batuu via the attraction Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. The Star Wars Book dates the Battle of Batuu to 34 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 34 ABY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary also places the Battle of Batuu six months after The Force Awakens, which Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore everything within Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and any related tie-in media depicting the Battle of Batuu, or set between The Force Awakens and the battle, must also occur in 34 ABY. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Star Wars: Datapad states that Gwellis Bagnoro was 51 years during the events of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, meaning he was born in around 17 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- "Droid Hunters"—Star Wars Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2019
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens