The HMP (Heavy Missile Platform) droid gunship, also known as the HMP Predator or droid gunship, was a model of repulsorlift airspeeder created by Geonosians and manufactured by Baktoid Fleet Ordnance. Operated by an advanced droid brain, they were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. They were heavily armed with missile pods, and seven laser cannons. Droid gunships were also used to transport B1 battle droids, B2 super battle droids, and BX-series droid commandos by use of racks and could deploy them into battle.
First reports on OnderonEdit
- "Leave no survivors. Go."
"By your command."
- ―General Kalani and a droid gunship
Debuting late in the Clone Wars, HMP droid gunships were eventually mass-produced in Baktoid Fleet Ordnance's factories on many Separatist planets. The first reports of HMP droid gunships on the battlefield came when they were deployed during the Onderonian Civil War by super tactical droid General Kalani to defeat the Onderon rebels who had established themselves in the Onderon's highlands. Although the gunships performed admirably, they were ultimately destroyed by rebels armed with Sienar shoulder-launched missiles that were supplied by Weequay pirate Hondo Ohnaka. However, a crashed gunship was able to kill rebel leader Steela Gerrera—sister and rebel comrade of Saw Gerrera—before being disabled by Lux Bonteri.
Gunship of the Separatist MilitaryEdit
HMP droid gunships were deployed again on an attack led by General Grievous on Obi-Wan Kenobi's fleet, several being used to deploy droid boarding parties on Kenobi's flagship. Grievous and his forces took over Kenobi's ship, but it self-destructed as Obi-Wan and his remaining clone troopers escaped via escape pods.
A droid gunship was used during the Battle of Ringo Vinda to attack a group of ARC-170 starfighters and a Republic attack shuttle carrying the renegade clone trooper Tup. The gunship and four super battle droid rocket troopers ambushed the convoy before it could it could make the jump to hyperspace. While the rocket troopers took out the escorts, the gunship fired a discord missile at the shuttle. The projectile exploded mid-flight, deploying buzz droids which then cut open the shuttle's cockpit, killing its two pilots. The droids were able to then break into the ship and capture Tup, executing all the other clones.
During the invasion of Scipio, three gunships were dispatched to deploy the Confederate garrison. Gunships deployed B2 super battle droids to attack Clone Commander Thorn and his Coruscant Guard forces who were stationed on Scipio to protect Senator Padmé Amidala. The droids, with the addition of BX-series droid commandos, were able to defeat all of the clones, which lead to a Separatist takeover of Scipio and the capture of Senator Amidala. The Confederacy's control over the planet was short, however, as Republic reinforcements lead by Anakin Skywalker arrived and retook Scipio from the Separatists as well as free the senator.
End of the warEdit
By the time of the Battle of Coruscant, power-hungry despots on some of the worlds that produced HMPs kept a number of the gunships for personal use. The ruler of Caramm V, Ado Eemon, sent out his personal force of HMPs to ruthlessly take out threats to his authority, which laid waste the once-beautiful planet. During the Battle of Coruscant, many of the HMPs deployed had Eemon's triple-spiral sponsorship emblem. At the end of the Clone Wars, a battle between the Separatists and the Republic took place on Kashyyyk. HMP droid gunships were among the droid forces implemented during the battle. The Wookiees assisted the Republic in taking down the gunships and NR-N99 Persuader-class droids.
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Tipping Points"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Rebel Rising (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis" (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 3: The Sin" (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 8: Redemption" (Appears in flashback(s))
- (First identified as HMP Predator)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as HMP droid gunship)
- Star Wars Expert Guide
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- ; image #20 (of 22)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Tipping Points"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"