Hair was a collection of pigmented thread-like strands growing from the skin of certain species, including humans, Weequays, and many others. The thick coat of hair of certain life-forms was also referred to as fur. Such species included the Wookiees of Kashyyyk and the Talz of Orto Plutonia. Hair came in a great variety of colors, lengths, and thicknesses. As exemplified by the case of the human Obi-Wan Kenobi, hair lost its hue with old age. In humans, gray hairs were an easily identifiable sign of aging. Premature graying could also be a sign of stress, and was common in members of the Resistance.
Hair could be styled in a vast number of ways for practical or aesthetic reasons. The human weapon experts Sabine Wren used to keep her hair short because it would often get sweaty under her Mandalorian helmet. Nonetheless, she also did dye jobs to artificially add various colors her hair. Besides conventional dyes such as the purple substance extracted from the carnivorous Morogian snap plant, there existed a Mon Cal microplankton that would bond with each strand of hair, giving it a bioluminescent glow. The queens of Naboo often sported very intricate hairstyles. A product known as hair gel could be applied to tame any unruly hairs one may have.
Hairstyles were sometimes influenced by trends. Many of the women at the Resistance base on Ajan Kloss were influenced by Princess Leia's Alderaanian hairstyle and wrapped their hair around their head like a crown, although Rey believed that Leia didn't notice.
Militaries typically had requirements regarding the hairstyle of their officers. For example, close-cropped hair was a requirement in the Galactic Republic's military. In the Galactic Empire, officers often cut their hair short for optimal efficiency, but were allowed to keep it long on the condition that they wore it pinned back in tight braids.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Death Trap"
- The Rebellion Begins
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Last Shot
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- "The Bridge"—Age of Resistance Special 1
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Lost Stars
- "Tales from Wild Space: The Best Pet"—Star Wars Adventures (2017) 5
- Solo: A Star Wars Story