The Hakarans were a sentient insectoid species hailing from the swamp planet Hakara. The Hakarans remained unknown to the Galactic Republic until the Clone Wars, when they requested aid from the Jedi Order to fight off Separatist battle droids that had invaded their homeworld. Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan Ahsoka Tano arrived on Hakara and taught the Hakarans how to defeat the droids. With the Jedi's help, the Hakarans were able to liberate their planet.
Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
- "Check out these swarms! Looks like we found Hakara's native population!"
"I guess we shouldn't be so surprised. We already know that intelligent life comes in a variety of forms…"
- ―Ahsoka Tano and Anakin Skywalker, on the Hakarans
The Hakarans were a sentient species of tiny insectoids capable of flight. Due to their small size, they were easily confused for non-sentient insects. The Hakarans usually massed in large swarms. They had their own language and were also able to communicate by forming a swarm in the shape of an object or a symbol; the latter way of communication was especially useful to convey information to individuals who did not know the Hakarans' language. The Hakarans lived in underground dwellings connected to the surface by tree hollows, and they possessed some form of technology to send signals off-world. The Hakarans were quick learners, able to grasp new technological concepts rapidly.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Given a choice, I'd rather face the entire Droid Army than these pesky insects."
- ―Ahsoka Tano, mistaking the Hakarans for non-sentient insects
The Hakarans were the only indigenous species of the swamp planet Hakara, which the Galactic Republic believed uninhabited at the time of the Clone Wars, although the Hakarans themselves were aware of the existence of the Jedi Order. At some point during the first two years of the war, Hakara was invaded by the Confederacy of Independent Systems, and a detachment of battle droids was stationed on the planet in order to steal the planet's natural resources. The Confederacy knew of the Hakarans, but they did not consider them to be a threat to their operation. Hoping to receive help from the Jedi, the Hakarans used their native technology to send a distress signal to the Jedi High Council. The Jedi Council received the message, but they were unable to decipher most of it because they were unfamiliar with the Hakaran language. Still, the Council conjectured that the strange message was in fact a call for help and thus sent Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, to Hakara to investigate.
Upon arrival, the two Jedi mistook the Hakarans for nothing more than importunate insects, until a group of Hakarans saved them from a speeder bike–mounted B1 battle droid on patrol. The Jedi then realized that the insects possessed sentience and, by using the Force, taught them how to deactivate the droids' neural processors. With the new knowledge, the Hakarans raided a Confederate platform and dispatched all B1 battle droids and DSD1 dwarf spider droids stationed there. While the Hakarans finished off the remaining stragglers scattered throughout Hakara, Tano and Skywalker left the planet to inform the Jedi Council about the Hakarans. Skywalker hoped that the Council would place Hakara under their protection to prevent another invasion, and that the Jedi would suggest that the Republic send an ambassador to the planet.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Hakarans are featured in A Little Help on Hakara, a short comic strip published in Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.9 in June of 2010 and written by Tom DeFalco. In the comic, the Hakarans are illustrated by Tanya Roberts.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- "A Little Help on Hakara"—Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.9
- In A Little Help on Hakara, Ahsoka Tano appears in her original costume from Star Wars: The Clone Wars, indicating that the comic takes place prior to the episode "Heroes on Both Sides," in which she receives a new outfit to signify the passage of time. "Heroes on Both Sides" can be dated to 21 BBY since it occurs between two episodes, "ARC Troopers" and "Pursuit of Peace," that are also placed in 21 BBY by two other sources: The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 62 (21 BBY 17–18, Defense of Kamino) and The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 7 (KAT2, King Katuunko), respectively. Therefore, A Little Help on Hakara must take place after the beginning of the Clone Wars, which The New Essential Chronology dates to 22 BBY, but no later than 21 BBY, the date of "Heroes on Both Sides."