- "My dad worked the line at the CEC plant before he got laid off…He wanted to be a pilot."
- ―Han Solo, to Landonis Balthazar Calrissian
The father of famed smuggler-turned-rebel Han Solo lived on Corellia during Solo's early years. He worked in the Corellian Engineering Corporation shipyards, building vessels such as YT-1300 light freighters. Solo's father wished he could leave Corellia on such a ship, but was never able to afford to. According to Solo, who recounted his father's story to Landonis Balthazar Calrissian, he was never close with his father. At some point, his father brought him to the freighter factory where he worked. His father pointed out that the ships being built there were his contributions to the galaxy, but that they ultimately did not matter. His father then advised him that Han was not meant to build ships, but rather to fly them. Sometime afterwards when Han was young, his father abandoned him and eventually died.
Behind the scenes
- "Since so many SW characters are orphans or the product of some great tragedy, we wanted the story of Han's parentage to hint at something more complex and less romantic. His father led a working-class life, full of disappointment, and he had a complicated, difficult relationship with his son."
- ―Jon Kasdan on Han's father
Han Solo's father was mentioned in the 2018 Star Wars Anthology film Solo: A Star Wars Story. In Star Wars Legends, the character was identified as Jonash Solo. Solo's relationship with his father, as part of the film's backstory, was inspired by that of songwriter-musician Bruce Springsteen with his father Douglas, as writers Jon and Lawrence Kasdan both read Springteen's autobiography Born to Run around the time they were writing the film's script.
There are inconsistencies regarding the fate of Han's father. In the 2015 reference book Ultimate Star Wars, it was stated that Han was orphaned at a young age, indirectly indicating that his father died. Mur Lafferty's novelization of Solo later stated that Han's father abandoned Han. Jon Kasdan, one of the screenwriters of Solo, stated on Twitter that he believes that Han ran away from his father and that Han's father is still alive somewhere, drinking himself to death, however.
- Most Wanted (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 4 (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)