- "[…] and the least [sic] said about about the Harches the better. Those guys are literally giant spiders for pity's sake."
Harches were an imposing humanoid, spider-like sentient species native to the planet Secundus Ando, in the Mid Rim. They had six arms and six red eyes, and a pair of chelicerae near their mouths. Harches had grey skin and were covered in brown or white hair. Harches also had a habit of making clicking noises sometimes when they talked. Admiral Trench of the Confederacy of Independent Systems was a male Harch. Trench was one of the largest members of his species.
Biology and appearance
With physiology derived from arachnid ancestors, the sentient Harch species were genetic cousins of the Aqualish. Shorter and stockier than the average human, Harch weighed about the same due to a tough exoskeleton that was coated in hair ranging from brown to pale gray. Members of the species had 8 limbs: six fully functional arms and two legs. The arms ended in furless, three-fingered, dark pink hands and the legs ended in furred two-toed feet.
Their heads included two large primary eyes below two pairs of smaller eyes and above two, large, protruding jaws or chelicerae. The eyes were all red and the smaller eyes were excellent at sensing movement and changes in light, but were less able of seeing color or detail. The species was genetically diverse, with some inheriting spinerets or venom from their arachnid predecessors. Harch were capable of eating solid meat and vegetation, and did, but preferred a diet of liquid proteins. It was rumored that the Harch were a long lived species with lifespans that could stretch for centuries.
Behind the scenes
Harches first appeared in "Cat and Mouse," the sixteenth episode of the canon animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' second season. The species was first identified in Admiral Trench's entry in the now-discontinued Encyclopedia, an entry that is also present in the Encyclopedia's replacement, the Databank.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Bad Batch" (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Distant Echo" (Appears on communication screen)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra Annual 3
- "Fake It Till You Make It"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
- Alphabet Squadron
- Alphabet Squadron audiobook
- Shadow Fall (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Fall audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Victory's Price (Mentioned only)
- Victory's Price audiobook (Mentioned only)
- (First identified as Harch)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 106
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 22 (Databank A-Z: Gungans–Rako Hardeen)
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 56 (Databank A-Z: Tractor Beams–Tri-Fighters)
- Rise of the Separatists
- Collapse of the Republic
- "Anakin Skywalker" – Star Wars Encyclopedia