- "I don't get to treat many lightsaber wounds. It's such an old weapon. People today prefer to fight with rifles and blasters, from long range. I suppose it doesn't matter. Death is death, no matter the mechanism that is employed to beget it. But not for your friend. Not this time."
- ―Harter Kalonia, to Rey
Harter Kalonia was a human female who served as a doctor with the New Republic and later the Resistance. She was also a Resistance officer holding the military rank of Major. Kalonia was stationed on the Resistance base on D'Qar thirty years after the Battle of Endor. She notably attended both Chewbacca and Finn after they were wounded at the Battle of Takodana and the Battle of Starkiller Base, respectively.
New Republic serviceEdit
In 5 ABY, Doctor Harter Kalonia worked with Leia Organa to ensure her health during pregnancy. Notably, Kalonia recommended that Organa incorporate jogan fruit into her diet. Han Solo interpreted this rather broadly, and on at least one occasion purchased and delivered an entire armload of jogans for her.
In 28 ABY, Kalonia served as a medical officer in the New Republic on Hosnian Prime. She had a friendly relationship with Greer Sonnel, Senator Organa's personal assistant, whose bloodburn she treated with occasional injections of Hadeira serum. Following the Napkin Bombing which damaged the New Republic senatorial complex's conference building, Kalonia treated Organa and Sonnel's moderate injuries at a nearby medcenter. She told her patients to stop talking so that she could attend to her work. Later, Kalonia and a med droid loaded a treated Organa onto a transport.
Later, Kalonia treated Sonnel for a bloodburn attack after she collapsed prior to her mission to Sibensko to investigate Rinnrivin Di's cartel and the Amaxine warriors. After the mission to Sibensko, Kalonia and other New Republic officials and former Rebel Alliance personnel attended a private meeting in the Senate hangar bay where Organa established the Resistance, a paramilitary organization aimed at protecting the Republic from external threats.
Six years later, Kalonia served as a major in the Resistance, under the command of General Organa, during their conflict with the First Order. She was stationed at the Resistance base on the planet D'Qar. There, she treated the wounded shoulder of the Wookiee Chewbacca. Chewbacca appreciated her kindly demeanor, and Kalonia soothed him as she provided treatment, telling the Wookiee that his story of how he sustained the wounds sounded "very scary" and that Chewbacca "was so brave."
Kalonia also treated the injuries Finn suffered during his fight with Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base, which included nearly fatal lightsaber wounds to the shoulder and spine. Kalonia tended to Finn in the intensive care unit of the D'Qar base, marking one of the few instances in her career that she treated lightsaber wounds. Finn survived, and Kalonia's prognosis was positive, though his final status would not be certain until he fully recovered. After treating Finn, Kalonia personally informed Rey about his recovery. Finn recovered shortly afterwards, as Kalonia promised.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "That sounds very scary. You must be so brave."
- ―Harter Kalonia, demonstrating her bedside manner on Chewbacca
Harter Kalonia was a light-skinned human female with dark hair and brown eyes. As a physician, she was noted for her good humor and sympathetic bedside manner, and she was warm enough to offer even the most hardened soldier comfort.
Skills and abilitiesEdit
Harter Kalonia was a competent physician. Despite having little experience with the treatment of lightsaber wounds, she still managed to save Finn's life. In addition to speaking Galactic Basic, Kalonia was also fluent in other languages such as Shyriiwook, which made her a good ear for Wookiee patients.
The uniform worn by Kalonia reflected both her military and medical roles. The silver and red rank badge of an army major was attached to the left side of her chest, and the dark armband of medical services (bearing the word "MED" in aurebesh) was wrapped around her left upper arm. Kalonia used a well-equipped medical field kit that allowed her to treat blaster burns. It contained antiseptic field generators, bacta bulbs, and synthflesh dispensera. While Kalonia was known for her compassion and sly humor, she also ensured that her patients complied with her instructions.
Behind the scenesEdit
Harter Kalonia was portrayed by Harriet Walter in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. Walter, who also portrayed Lady Shackleton in the television series Downton Abbey, is the niece of the late Sir Christopher Lee, who portrayed Darth Tyranus in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005). A deleted scene from The Force Awakens depicts Kalonia telling Rey "your friend's going to be just fine," referring to Finn, a sequence that was presented in detail in the film's novelization.
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (First identified as Harter)
- Bloodline audiobook
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization (First identified as Kalonia, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire audiobook
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Kalonia, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Series 1 (Card: Doctor Kalonia)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 30 (Databank A-Z: Tee Watt Kaa–Kamino)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Bloodline
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ years before the events of the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas establishes that the events of The Force Awakens take place in the year 34 ABY and so using simple math it can be concluded that the events of Bloodline take place in 28 ABY. The tweet in question states that the events of Bloodline take place six
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Series 1 (Card: Doctor Kalonia)
- ↑ McNally, Victoria. (December 18, 2015). "13 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Cameos You Might Have Missed". MTV.
- ↑ Yamato, Jen. (December 19, 2015). "How to Spot All the 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Cameos, From Daniel Craig to Yoda". The Daily Beast.
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens home video release