- "We are merchants, not conquerors."
- ―Hath Monchar to Jurnel Arrant
Hath Monchar was a male Neimoidian Deputy Viceroy of the Trade Federation from the planet Neimoidia, between the years 33 and 32 BBY. In his bid for credits, he betrayed the Federation's mysterious benefactor Darth Sidious, by attempting to sell information on his schemes to the highest bidder.
In 33 BBY, Hath Monchar together with Settlement Officer Rune Haako, captain Daultay Dofine, Senator Lott Dod, and Commanding Viceroy Nute Gunray conspired with the enigmatic Darth Sidious to strengthen their positions within the Trade Federation by supporting Gunray's rise as the organization's sole leader.
Following the deaths of the members of the Trade Federation Directorate (orchestrated by Sidious), Gunray became the unquestioned leader of the trade conglomerate and had his associates (Haako, Dofine, Dod and Monchar) replace them in positions of power.
Later, Monchar betrayed Darth Sidious and Viceroy Nute Gunray when he fled the Trade Federation flagship Saak'ak with a Sith holocron storing information about the upcoming Invasion of Naboo, hoping to make a fortune selling it to the highest bidder.
His treachery attracted unwanted attention from both the Federation and the Sith, both trying to get their hands on the holocron. Sidious sent his Sith apprentice Darth Maul to track and hunt down the former Deputy Viceroy as well as his contacts.
Monchar attempted to sell the holocron to Darnada, a Black Sun vigo, in the Deep Space Demolition and Removal space station. However, the Dug laughed him off, disbelieving Monchar's claims. Luckily for Monchar, he left Darnada immediately before Darth Maul arrived to slaughter Darnada and his entire operation except Asa Naga who managed to escape and warn Alexi Garyn of the assassin.
Weeks or months later, Monchar went into hiding on Coruscant, where he attempted to sell the holocron to information broker Lorn Pavan for 500,000 credits. Lorn sold the holocron to Yanth the Hutt for 1,000,000 Galactic Credits. However, Darth Maul soon killed Yanth and stole the holocron back, before returning to his mission.
In an attempt to acquire the holocron for themselves, Rune Haako dispatched bounty hunter Mawhi Lhinn to bring back Monchar before Sidious could discover his betrayal. Unknown to the Federation's leadership, Sidious was aware of the Deputy Viceroy's treachery and had already sent his apprentice to silence him. Darth Maul tracked Monchar to his domicile, where he proceeded to kill the Trandoshan bodyguard, Gorth, and two Quarrens, then beheaded Monchar himself while suspending him in the air with the Force.
Personality and traitsEdit
Monchar was a greedy and treacherous Neimoidian who betrayed the Trade Federation and Darth Sidious in the end, which cost him his life.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (Mentioned only)
- Darth Plagueis (Appears in hologram)
- Darth Maul: Saboteur
- Cloak of Deception
- Darth Maul 2 (First appearance)
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
- End Game (Mentioned only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 6 (GUN3–4, Nute Gunray)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 13 (NAB10, The Naboo Blockade)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 16 (HAA2, Rune Haako)
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 21
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 33
- The Essential Reader's Companion