Hennet Kayn was a Gotal who spent time on the planet Tatooine during the Galactic Civil War. In the year 0 BBY, Kayn was in Chalmun's Cantina in the Mos Eisley spaceport when the bounty hunter Greedo confronted the smuggler Han Solo in one of the establishment's booths. Kayn moved into one of the other booths just before Solo shot and killed Greedo.
The Gotal Hennet Kayn was present in the spaceport of Mos Eisley on the planet Tatooine in the year 0 BBY, during the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, the Gotal was in Chalmun's Cantina in Mos Eisley when the smuggler Han Solo attempted to leave the establishment, only to be forced back into his seat by the bounty hunter Greedo.
As Solo and Greedo discussed the bounty on the smuggler's head, Kayn walked from the direction of the cantina's main bar into a booth, where the Abyssin Myo and the Talz Muftak were seated. Solo and Greedo then exchanged blasterfire, with Solo killing the bounty hunter, which briefly drew the attention of many patrons in the cantina.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
Hennet Kayn first appeared in the 1977 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The character's costume was made up of items from the costumes of several other Mos Eisley Cantina patrons, including Trinto Duaba's robe, M'iiyoom Onith's shirt, and a mask and claws used by fellow Gotals Feltipern Trevagg and Cobb Sonbepol.
Costume designer Rick Baker had originally created the claws as props for the 1974 horror film It's Alive. Makeup artist Laine Liska, who created the character's mask, modified the claws with fur for Star Wars. The cantina character Myo also used a separate pair of the same claw props but without the fur.
The Hennet Kayn character name was first created at the "Behind the Scenes of the Cantina" panel at Star Wars Celebration Chicago in 2019. After panel host Tom Spina discovered production images of Kayn, he and Lucasfilm Story Group member Leland Chee named the character based on panel attendee Kenneth Haynie, who won the honor during the panel.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- (First identified as Hennet Kayn)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope that occur prior to the Battle of Yavin, which includes Hennet Kayn's time in Mos Eisley, to 0 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations identifies each of the characters whose costumes were used. shows what costume components were used for the Hennet Kayn costume.
- ↑ Rick Baker for the film It's Alive, identifiable by the distinctive monster baby prop as seen in the following image: shows that the claws used in the Hennet Kayn costume were originally from a set of props all made by
- ↑ The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film