- "While the two scripts are similar, small variances differentiate the Royal Script from the Naboo Futhark, a fact made eminently clear when Senator Binks of Naboo famously misinterpreted the name of the Palazzo's Heroine Hall as "Hero in Hell" during Queen Apailana's state visit to the world."
- ―Doctor Milanda Vorgan
Heroine Hall was a room inside the Palazzo Reina—constructed during the reign of Queen Elsinoré den Tasia between 3950 BBY and circa 3900 BBY—on the planet Grizmallt. The name of the hall was written inside the Palazzo in the Royal Script of Grizmallt. Between 21 BBY and 18 BBY, Queen Apailana of Naboo, a planet which had been colonized by the Grizmallti, paid a state visit to Grizmallt, accompanied by Senator Jar Jar Binks. The senator famously misread Heroine Hall as "Hero in Hell" due to the similarities between the Royal Script and Futhark, a Naboo-written script that descended from the Royal Script. The incident was recorded in the academic text "The Written Word: A Brief Introduction to the Writing Systems of Galactic Basic" by Doctor Milanda Vorgan.
Behind the scenes
- "Jar-Jar's 'diplomatic incident' with Queen Apailana during her state visit to Grizmallt seemed a good way to hint at the orthographic drift between the Naboo and their forebears, and to have a little fun with a certain klutzy Gungan, of whom we've seen so little in the post-RotS timeframe."
- ―John Hazlett, in the endnotes for "The Written Word"
The Heroine Hall was mentioned in "The Written Word," an in-universe article written by John Hazlett and published on Hyperspace, a subscription feature on StarWars.com, on March 5, 2010. Hazlett created Binks' "diplomatic incident" with the Heroine Hall as a way to highlight the differences between Futhark and the Royal Script of Grizmallt while having fun with the clumsy character.
- (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- "The Written Word" dates the construction of the Palazzo Reina to the reign of Queen Elsinoré den Tasia, whose reign had begun by 3950 BBY according to The Essential Atlas and ended by approximately 3900 BBY according to Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.
- Queen Apailana's state visit to Grizmallt took place during her reign, which began after that of Queen Neeyutnee, who was in power during the events of "Crisis on Naboo," which took place in 21 BBY according to The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 57 (EVA1–2, Moralo Eval), and ended with her death in 18 BBY according to