- "Just relax for a moment. You're free of the carbonite. Shh. You have hibernation sickness."
"I can't see."
"Your eyesight will return in time."
- ―Leia Organa and Han Solo
Hibernation sickness, also known as carbon sickness, was a medical condition that could occur when a person was brought out of suspended animation in carbonite. It was characterized by exhaustion, weakness, dehydration, dizziness, memory loss, and temporary blindness. The most serious cases of hibernation sickness could result in death. Han Solo suffered from a mild case of hibernation sickness after being rescued from carbonite by Leia Organa in the palace of Jabba the Hutt. A Mythrol said he still could not see out of his left eye after being frozen in carbonite.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel" (Mentioned only) (First identified as carbon sickness)
- Star Wars 4 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Leia and Han - The Han Rescue"
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 12: The Siege"