- "We are all the Republic."
- ―A phrase popularized by Supreme Chancellor Lina Soh in the High Republic Era
The High Republic Era was a period of time that lasted for around two hundred years between approximately 300 BBY and 82 BBY in which the Galactic Republic was said to be at its height. It was also a golden age for the Jedi, who were significantly more active throughout the galaxy, and a time of expansion and exploration in the Outer Rim Territories.
History[edit | edit source]
- "In the days of the High Republic, the galaxy was not as settled as it is now. Areas like the Outer Rim were dangerous, hard to navigate. So the people of that time built a huge space station at great effort and expense and placed it in the center of the dark zones. It sent out a signal that acted as a sort of beacon, helping travelers find their way. They gave that station an inspiring name, fitting its purpose."
- ―Commander Grek
According to the stories told among Jedi Initiates, Klias Teradine was a Padawan who lived during this era and also discovered the Bogan Collection. An event known as the Great Disaster, in which starships across the galaxy were suddenly kicked out of hyperspace, also occurred during this era.
During this time, the galaxy was not as settled as it was by the time of the Galactic Civil War, as areas like the Outer Rim were dangerous and difficult to navigate. In response, an enormous space station called the Starlight Beacon, one of Supreme Chancellor Lina Soh's Great Works, was constructed at a great effort and expense and placed in the center of the dark zones. The station would send out a signal that acted as a beacon, helping travelers find their way.
The Starros and San Tekka clans were known to be active during this period. Jedi Master Porter Engle, known as the Blade of Bardotta, also dated from this period. Avar Kriss was a pre-eminent Jedi Master from the period, who became known as the "Hero of Hetzal" for her efforts in leading a group of Jedi to rescue civilians during the Great Disaster. The marauder group known as the Nihil were soon discovered to be responsible for the tragedy.
Long after the High Republic Era, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and the galactic explorer Lor San Tekka traveled to a Jedi outpost on the Outer Rim planet Elphrona, located on the edge of the Unknown Regions. Given its distance from the Core, Tekka speculated that the outpost could have been built during the High Republic Era.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "I just didn't realize the Jedi ever had an official presence so far from the Core."
"It's probably High Republic Era. It was a time of greatly expanded Jedi activity throughout the galaxy."
- ―Luke Skywalker and Lor San Tekka in The Rise of Kylo Ren
The High Republic Era was first mentioned in the 2019 audiodrama Dooku: Jedi Lost, but it was not identified until the 2020 comic The Rise of Kylo Ren. It first appeared in a flashback in the comic "The Lost Stories, Part 1," published in Star Wars Adventures 30. The era is set to make its first on-screen appearance in the upcoming television series Star Wars: The Acolyte, which is set at the end of the time period.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu (Indirect mention only)
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection
- "A Seat on the Council"—Star Wars Insider 199
- "Launchpad"—Star Wars Insider 201
- "Yoda and Other Force Users" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Star Wars Book dates the start of the High Republic Era to approximately 300years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that A New Hope begins in 0 BBY, the High Republic Era must have began approximately 300 BBY.
- 卢卡斯影业故事组」不仅此次全程担当内容监修，更似乎与大家熟知的星战电影、动画、书籍等各种形式的星战内容息息相关！究竟他们扮演了何等重要的角色？点击视频来了解一下吧！#星球大战##星战中国话# 星球大战的微博视频. Weibo (2020-12-17). Archived from the original on December 18, 2020. Retrieved on December 18, 2020. states that The Vow of Silver Dawn takes place about fifty years before the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 32 BBY. As it is also stated that The Vow of Silver Dawn is set towards the end of the High Republic Era, the era must have ended around 82 BBY.
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars 2
- "The Lost Stories, Part 1"—Star Wars Adventures 30
- Dooku: Jedi Lost
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi