The High Republic Era was a period of time that lasted for around two hundred years between approximately 300 BBY and 82 BBY in which the Galactic Republic was said to be at its height. It was also a golden age for the Jedi, who were significantly more active throughout the galaxy, and a time of expansion and exploration in the Outer Rim Territories.
- "In the days of the High Republic, the galaxy was not as settled as it is now. Areas like the Outer Rim were dangerous, hard to navigate. So the people of that time built a huge space station at great effort and expense and placed it in the center of the dark zones. It sent out a signal that acted as a sort of beacon, helping travelers find their way. They gave that station an inspiring name, fitting its purpose."
- ―Commander Grek
According to the stories told among Jedi Initiates, Klias Teradine was a Padawan who lived during this era and also discovered the Bogan Collection. With the Colonies and Core Worlds overpopulated, many poor citizens moved to the dangerous Outer Rim Territories, where the Galactic Republic hoped to spread itself with Great Works, including Starlight Beacon. Under the leadership of Supreme Chancellor Lina Soh, the Republic supported the dreams of its citizens, spreading a slogan that every citizen represented the government. Although the government was not perfect, it was supported by the various species that lived under its rule.
The High Republic Era was considered a time of peace; when there was conflict or another type of crisis, one of the earliest of the Great Works, the Salvation-class Republic medical frigate Panacea, was deployed to provide aid. During this time, the galaxy was not as settled as it was by the time of the Galactic Civil War, as areas like the Outer Rim were dangerous and difficult to navigate. In response, an enormous space station called the Starlight Beacon, one of Chancellor Soh's Great Works, was constructed at a great effort and expense and placed in the center of the dark zones. The station would send out a signal that acted as a beacon, helping travelers find their way. An event known as the Great Hyperspace Disaster, in which starships across the galaxy were suddenly kicked out of hyperspace, also occurred during this era. The disaster was caused by the Eye of the Nihil, Marchion Ro.
The Starros and San Tekka clans were known to be active during this period. Jedi Master Porter Engle, known as the Blade of Bardotta, also dated from this period. Avar Kriss was a pre-eminent Jedi Master from the period, who became known as the "Hero of Hetzal" for her efforts in leading a group of Jedi to rescue civilians during the Great Hyperspace Disaster. The marauder group known as the Nihil were soon discovered to be responsible for the tragedy.
Long after the High Republic Era, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and the galactic explorer Lor San Tekka traveled to a Jedi outpost on the Outer Rim planet Elphrona, located on the edge of the Unknown Regions. Given its distance from the Core, Tekka speculated that the outpost could have been built during the High Republic Era.
Behind the scenes
- "I just didn't realize the Jedi ever had an official presence so far from the Core."
"It's probably High Republic Era. It was a time of greatly expanded Jedi activity throughout the galaxy."
- ―Luke Skywalker and Lor San Tekka in The Rise of Kylo Ren
The High Republic Era was first mentioned in the 2019 audiodrama Dooku: Jedi Lost, but it was not identified until the 2020 comic The Rise of Kylo Ren. It first appeared in a flashback in the comic "The Lost Stories, Part 1," published in Star Wars Adventures (2017) 30. The era is set to make its first on-screen appearance in the upcoming television series Star Wars: The Acolyte, which is set at the end of the time period.
Notes and references
- The Star Wars Book dates the start of the High Republic Era to approximately 300 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that A New Hope begins in 0 BBY, the High Republic Era must have begun approximately 300 BBY.
- The Vow of Silver Dawn takes place about fifty years before the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 32 BBY. As it is also stated that The Vow of Silver Dawn is set towards the end of the High Republic Era, the era must have ended around 82 BBY. states that
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars (2020) 2
- "The Lost Stories, Part 1"—Star Wars Adventures (2017) 30
- Dooku: Jedi Lost
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi