A hinged double-bladed lightsaber was a type of double-bladed lightsaber that could fold in half, making it easier to stow while not in use. Essentially a pair of single-bladed lightsabers with their pommels conjoined by a series of hinges, the user was still able to activate one or both blades while the weapon was folded.
During the Clone Wars, Jedi General Pong Krell's four-armed Besalisk anatomy allowed him to wield a pair of hinged double-bladed lightsabers, one with blue blades, the other green. Rather than carry their traditional lightsaber pikes, some Jedi Temple Guards instead utilized yellow-bladed hinged lightsabers.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Pong Krell['s] lightsaber design introduces something new to the Jedi arsenal. Though double-ended lightsabers had been seen before—most famously wielded by Darth Maul—Krell's are hinged, allowing him to more easily stow them on his belt."
- ―"Carnage of Krell" Trivia Gallery on StarWars.com
Hinged double-bladed lightsabers first appeared in "Darkness on Umbara," the seventh episode in the fourth season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated television series, which first aired on October 28, 2011. Rey was shown wielding a red-bladed hinged lightsaber in footage of the upcoming 2019 film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker that debuted at D23 Expo's Walt Disney Studios panel on August 24, 2019.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The General"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness" (Vision)
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker