Hirang Birren was a Nithorn male who worked as a cruise ship talent scout and spent time on the yacht First Light in 10 BBY. While aboard, he began singing along with performers Aurodia Ventafoli and Luleo Primoc in his own guttural birdsong.
The Nithorn male Hirang Birren worked as a cruise ship talent scout during the reign of the Galactic Empire. In 10 BBY, Birren was attending a party aboard the First Light—the personal yacht of Dryden Vos, leader of the Crimson Dawn criminal organization—when it arrived on the planet Vandor.
While on the starship, Birren listened to a musical performance by the singers Aurodia Ventafoli and Luleo Primoc, and unwittingly began singing along with them in his own guttural birdsong. With a drink in hand and a human woman on his arm, Birren walked past the outlaw Han Solo on the yacht's viewing platform. He then stood with the woman at one of the platform's windows to talk.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Chris Clarke, who built the mechanics of the head, performed the face and puppeteer Colin Purves was in my ear giving me directions, as my vision was very limited. I was thrilled that the character is named anagramically after me!"
- ―Brian Herring
Hirang Birren was portrayed by puppeteer Brian Herring in the 2018 Anthology film, Solo: A Star Wars Story. Nithorn concept art for the film was drawn by senior sculptor Luke Fisher and titled "Maverick 015 Version A." The mechanics of the Birren character's mask were built by Chris Clarke, who also controlled the mask's facial movements on set. Due to the limited vision that the mask allowed, Herring had puppeteer Colin Purves giving him directions through an earpiece during filming.
On the film's set, the character was known as "parrot man." The reference book Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide, written by Pablo Hidalgo and released alongside the film, officially identified the character as Hirang Birren—an anagram of Herring's name.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide (First identified as Hirang Birren)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Ultimate Sticker Collection
- The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- ↑ Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide dates the events aboard the First Light in Solo: A Star Wars Story to nine years after the formation of the Galactic Empire. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Empire's formation to 19 BBY; therefore, those events of the film must take place in 10 BBY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Solo: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3
- ↑ The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story