- "This is Alton Kastle for the only news you need: the HoloNet News!"
- ―Alton Kastle
The HoloNet News (or HNN) was a prominent news agency operating within the galaxy that transmitted data via the interstellar HoloNet. HoloNet News served several galactic governments including the Galactic Republic, the Galactic Empire, and the New Republic.
History[edit | edit source]
Originally independent, HoloNet News was taken over by the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars to ensure that information would not be compromised by the then enemy Confederacy of Independent Systems.
Following the Clone Wars, Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine founded the First Galactic Empire, and the HoloNet News became the official state-run news agency of his new regime. To ensure that its briefs were consistent with government messaging, the agency was overseen by Pollux Hax, Imperial Minister of Information and member of the Coalition for Progress. It became law that HoloNet News be broadcast at all times in every drinking establishment.
HoloNet News reports were sent via hyperspace transmission, allowing instantaneous connection throughout the whole galaxy. Around five years before the Battle of Yavin, prominent anchorman Alton Kastle delivered broadcasts on key issues and news of the day. In the Outer Rim Territories, the chief manager of the station was Eris Harro.
By the time of the Battle of Jakku, the New Republic, the successor to the Alliance to Restore the Republic, had taken control of HoloNet News. Since HoloNet News had to compete with other media networks, it preferred to focus on exclusive stories. Tracene Kane, who had previously worked for Queen of the Core Network, and the Sullustan Birt were two known employees of HoloNet News. Chancellor Mon Mothma issued a press statement relating to the discovery of Imperial forces on Jakku to HoloNet News.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 24 (Databank A-Z: The HoloNet–General Hux)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Rebels Imperial Press Corps Pin. Rebelscum.com. Archived from the original on December 31, 2015. Retrieved on October 14, 2014.
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- "The Voice of the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 170
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day"
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide