A holodisc, also called a holodisk, holotape or hologram disc, was a device onto which holographic messages, as well as hologrammic ones, could be recorded. It was possible to encrypt the content of a holodisc.
During the Clone Wars, Padmé Amidala went on a mission to Cato Neimoidia where she procured a hologram disc of a new Separatist droid foundry that the InterGalactic Banking Clan was funding. This was proof that exposed Senator Rush Clovis of the Banking Clan of conspiring with the Separatists.
Morgan Katarn had recorded a message to his son Kyle revealing the location of the map to the Valley of the Jedi and the truth about Kyle's Jedi potential, and encrypted its content. Only WeeGee could decrypt it, though Rebel computer wizard Wires managed to decrypt it for Jan Ors so that the holorecording could be played at very low quality.
Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, a copy of the Death Star plans was obtained through a prison riot aboard the Death Star. Rebel prisoners managed to steal a copy of the Death Star plans and beam it to a Rebel cell stationed at a base on Polis Massa. These plans would be transferred to a holodisc, and this holodisc would play a key role during the subsequent Imperial raid on Polis Massa. When Imperial forces stormed a command room located further in the base, they retrieved the holodisc. After returning it to a captured communications center, they were forced to hold off Rebel forces for a couple minutes as the computer needed time to uplink the data to the Imperial network. During this, the Empire discovered that this holodisc was a decoy, but it did lead Darth Vader to the whereabouts of the plans, which were now in the custody of Princess Leia Organa aboard the Tantive IV.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (as holotape)
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (as holo-disk)
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope (as holodisk)
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi (as holo-disc)
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook (as hologram disk)
- Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley (as holotape)
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (as holodisk)
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook (as holotape)
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition (as holo-disk)
- "Zirtran's Anchor"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5 (as holo-tape)
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope, Second Edition (as holodisk and holotape)
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- (as hologram disc)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Strongholds of Resistance