Horox Ryyder was an Anx male who was served as a senator for the Raioballo sector in the Senate of the Galactic Republic. He had a quiet and soothing demeanor, and was well known for his patience and insight. Ryyder attended a session of the Senate in 32 BBY in which Queen Padmé Amidala of Naboo called for a Vote of No Confidence in Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum. In 19 BBY, he was at the Galaxies Opera House on Coruscant during a performance of Squid Lake.
Horox Ryyder was an Anx male who served as a senator for the thousands of worlds of the Raioballo sector in the Galactic Republic's Galactic Senate, in a career that lasted for over fifty years. In 32 BBY, he attended a session of the Senate in the Senate Building on the planet Coruscant. At the session, Queen Padmé Amidala of the planet Naboo made a plea for the Senate to help her end the invasion of her homeworld by the forces of the Trade Federation. Ryyder sat with another Anx in a repulsorpod that had been adjacent to Amidala's pod while the Trade Federation representative Lott Dod stalled Amidala's request with support from Senator Aks Moe. The queen then called for a Vote of No Confidence in Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum, sending the Senate into an uproar.
In 19 BBY, Ryyder was present in the Galaxies Opera House during a performance of the Mon Calamari ballet Squid Lake. During the performance, he was sat on a bench in one of the Opera House's corridors conversing with two human females as the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker rushed past on his way to Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine's personal viewing box.
Personality and traitsEdit
Ryyder was well known for his patience and insight, and he possessed a quiet and soothing demeanor that earned the senator many allies. He had orange eyes and yellow skin. As an Anx, Ryyder stood over four meters tall.
At Amidala's Vote of No Confidence, Ryyder wore orange and purple robes with golden detailing and an high collar to the Senate Building. While at the Opera House, he wore orange robes with golden detailing.
Behind the scenesEdit
Horox Ryyder first appeared in the 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, where he was portrayed by Jerome Blake. Although Ryyder is visible in one shot of the film in a senate pod to the lower right of the Naboo delegation's pod and his pod remains visible, the character is not visible in the following shot that shows the Naboo delegation's pod detaching from the Galactic Senate Chamber's wall.
Ryyder's design originated in a piece of concept art drawn by artist Doug Chiang that sculptor John Coppinger created the 3D character maquette for. Coppinger liked the concept sketch enough that he only made small alterations necessary to translate the design from 2D to 3D when sculpting, adding some details and changing proportions. The maquette was ultimately used in the creation of both Ryyder and another Anx, who was named Graxol Kelvyyn in the Star Wars Legends continuity.
Costume design and nameEdit
The basic rig for both Anx characters consisted of the performer standing on twenty-four inch stilts with the head standing thirty-six inches above that of the performer, making the character almost eleven feet tall in total. The rig was shown to director George Lucas with Coppinger inside, allowing Lucas to realize that including an Anx in frame with other smaller characters like Yoda would require the camera to be too far back. As such, Ryyder and Kelvyyn are only ever shown sitting down.
In the new Star Wars canon, the character's name was first used in the mobile card game Star Wars: Force Collection, which initially launched in 2013. Although the launch of Force Collection predates the Star Wars canon reset of 2014, Lucasfilm Story Group member Leland Chee confirmed that the game was kept updated to fit with canon. The name originated within the Star Wars Legends continuity, where it was first used in the 1999 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace The Official Souvenir Magazine produced by The Topps Company, Inc.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Horox Ryyder (★★) (link)) (First identified as Horox Ryyder)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Horox Ryyder (★★) (link))
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which includes Horox Ryyder's appearance, to 32 BBY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, which includes Horox Ryyder's appearance, to 19 BBY.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Hoare, James (2011-09-01). Star Wars interview: John Coppinger. SciFiNow. Kelsey Media. Archived from the original on July 27, 2019. Retrieved on July 27, 2019.
- ↑ Leland Chee of the Lucasfilm Story Group has confirmed that in-universe information from Star Wars: Force Collection conforms with the new Star Wars canon. —
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace The Official Souvenir Magazine