- "And besides that, the stuff just plain tasted good."
- ―Mara Jade
Hot chocolate was an exotic warm chocolate milk drink. It had many aficionados, some of the most famous being Lando Calrissian and Luke Skywalker. Skywalker had grown so fond of the drink that he had kept a secret stash of the pods used to make it aboard his brother-in-law's freighter. His wife Mara Jade also enjoyed it. The Solo family, Han, Leia, and Allana had a tradition of drinking the beverage while watching the The Perre Needmo Newshour. Hot chocolate was frowned upon in Palpatine's court and among smugglers, as Imperial officials viewed the drink as plebeian, and the smugglers preferred strong alcoholic beverages. After the Yuuzhan Vong War, hot chocolate became a rarity, because the Yuuzhan Vong had re-shaped seven of the eight planets that were home to the plant that produced the pods that were used to make it during the conflict.
While most inhabitants of the galaxy were used to their hot chocolate just coming out of a dispenser nozzle, quite a few were of the opinion that hot chocolate was best when made from scratch. Here were the instructions for doing so:
- Put several pods in a standard shipboard multiprocessor then set the multiprocessor to dry and powder.
- Wait until the multiprocessor chimes, add small amount of water and a lot of sweetener then set it to agitate and heat.
- Wait until the multiprocessor chimes, then add milk.
- Instruct the multiprocessor to heat the hot chocolate slowly.
- Wait until the processor chimes; the hot chocolate is ready to be served.
A number of things were used to enhance the taste of hot chocolate:
- A sliver of tang bark. (aka cinnamon)
- A drop of orchid bean extract. (aka vanilla)
- A dollop of mallow paste on top. (aka marshmallow)
- Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan (Non-canonical mention)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Empire (First appearance)
- Dark Force Rising
- Dark Force Rising audiobook
- I, Jedi
- Vision of the Future
- Vision of the Future unabridged audiobook
- Star Wars: Union
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest
- Fate of the Jedi: Abyss
- Fate of the Jedi: Abyss audiobook
- Fate of the Jedi: Allies
- Fate of the Jedi: Allies audiobook
- Fate of the Jedi: Ascension
- Fate of the Jedi: Ascension audiobook
- "An Apology" (Non-canonical mention)