- "There isn't enough life on this ice cube to fill a space cruiser!"
- ―Han Solo
Hoth was a remote, icy planet that was the sixth planet in the star system of the same name. It notably hosted Echo Base, the temporary headquarters of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, until the Galactic Empire located the Rebels, initiating a major confrontation known as the Battle of Hoth.
- "Anyone who looks at Hoth from above would be forgiven for thinking it a mostly dead ball of ice"
- ―Kell Tolkani's notes
From space, the planet of Hoth looked like a pale blue orb due to its dense snow and ice covering. Five planets existed between Hoth and its sun, while an asteroid belt surrounded the planet with meteors occasionally striking the surface. Most of its surface was covered with glaciers and frozen ice plains. Another third of the planet was covered by oceans. The temperature, although always frigid, was known to drop to -60°C come nightfall. Although devoid of intelligent life, Hoth was home to fifteen species of large gray snow lizards called tauntauns, which was commonly used by Rebels as a means of transport, and which Han Solo cut open to use as shelter to keep Luke Skywalker and himself warm during a snowstorm. It was also home to a species of towering predators known as wampas. During his stay on Hoth, Skywalker was captured by a wampa and was hung upside down in the wampa's cave, waiting to be eaten. Using the power of the Force, Skywalker managed to get his hands on his lightsaber and cut himself down from the roof and sever the wampa's right arm. The planet also had a number of "crystalline geysers."
The Rebel Alliance
- "Jan Dodonna was always planning for the future…he had preliminary scans for possible new rebel bases."
"Gimme a look at that…Atanu, Jabone IV, Lonania Prime, Hoth, Mupin XII? Mupin XII? Really? Did he make that one up? What are these places?"
- ―Leia Organa and Han Solo
Jan Dodonna, a general in the Alliance to Restore the Republic, listed Hoth among his preliminary scans for possible Alliance bases. After Dodonna was killed in the Assault on the Mako-Ta Space Docks, Mon Mothma gave this list of possible bases to Leia Organa after the mission to Shu-Torun, requesting that her team scout the locations. Han Solo expressed surprise at how obscure the locations were. However, Luke Skywalker responded to him by saying that one of the locations was the Rebellion's new home. In 1 ABY, Hoth was chosen by the rebels as the location for their base of operations, and then spent two years constructing Echo Base on the planet.
Battle of Hoth and aftermath
- "Com-Scan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."
- ―General Maximilian Veers
Hoth was the arena of a battle between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance, which had installed its temporary headquarters, Echo Base, on the ice planet. However, thanks to one of the thousands of probe droids they had dispatched throughout the galaxy, the Imperials had discovered the Alliance base within a month of the Rebels' habitation on the planet. Although Echo Base was evacuated in the eleventh hour, the Battle of Hoth resulted in a clear defeat for the Alliance after the elite Imperial Blizzard Force overran it.
In 5 ABY, Troithe Acting Governor Fara Yadeez heard rumors that the New Republic intended to repurpose Hoth into a prison for those who remained loyal to the Empire. Major Soran Keize, however, dismissed the credibility of the rumor as Republic Chancellor Mon Mothma had been dedicated to a pretext of justice over punishment, and that repurposing Hoth, where the Rebellion had been badly defeated by the Empire, had too much poetry.
Behind the scenes
Hoth first appeared in the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, the second installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. The real-world filming location for Hoth was Finse, Norway.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Snowball Sight
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Wampa Woes
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- "Reindeer Walker"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Kyber Saber Crystal Chase" (Appears in hologram)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Maker of Zoh"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Showdown on Hoth"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Flight of the Arrowhead" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon" (In flashback(s))
- A Vader Family Sithmas
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
- The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special
Notes and references
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Journey Through Space
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Fascinating Facts
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Commander
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- Doctor Aphra 1
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars 55
- Star Wars 67
- "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Insider 203 states that Hoth was chosen as the rebel base one year after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that A New Hope ends in 0 ABY, Hoth must have been chosen as the base in 1 ABY.
- "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Insider 203
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars: Uprising
- Shadow Fall are set approximately half a year after the Battle of Endor. Before the Awakening states that Kes Dameron and Shara Bey moved to Yavin 4 around six months after the Battle of Endor, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas establishes to be in 5 ABY. Therefore, the events of Shadow Fall must also take place around that year. states that the events of
- Shadow Fall