- "There isn't enough life on this ice cube to fill a space cruiser!"
- ―Han Solo
Hoth was a remote, icy planet that was the sixth planet in the star system of the same name. It notably hosted Echo Base, the temporary headquarters of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, until the Galactic Empire located the Rebels, initiating a major confrontation known as the Battle of Hoth.
- "Sir, the temperature's dropping too rapidly."
- ―A deck officer, to Han Solo
From space, the planet of Hoth looked like a pale blue orb due to its dense snow and ice covering. Five planets existed between Hoth and its sun, while an asteroid belt surrounded the planet with meteors occasionally striking the surface. Its surface was covered with glaciers and frozen ice plains. The temperature, although always frigid, was known to drop to -60°C come nightfall. Although devoid of intelligent life, Hoth was home to fifteen species of large gray snow lizards called tauntauns and to a species of towering predators known as wampas.
The Rebel AllianceEdit
- "Jan Dodonna was always planning for the future…he had preliminary scans for possible new rebel bases."
"Gimme a look at that…Atanu, Jabone IV, Lonania Prime, Hoth, Mupin XII? Mupin XII? Really? Did he make that one up? What are these places?"
- ―Leia Organa and Han Solo
Jan Dodonna, a general in the Alliance to Restore the Republic, listed Hoth among his primarily scans for possible Alliance bases. While Dodonna was killed in the assault on the Mako-Ta Space Docks, Mon Mothma gave his list of possible bases to Leia Organa's team after the mission to Shu-Torun. The team was to scout out the locations to see which would work for the Rebellion, but one member of the team, Han Solo, was surprised at how obscure the listed locations were. However, Luke Skywalker responded to him by saying that one of the locations was the Rebellion's new home. Ultimately, Hoth came to be the Alliance's new base of operations, as the Rebellion established Echo Base on the planet.
Battle of Hoth and aftermathEdit
- "Com-Scan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."
- ―General Maximillian Veers
Hoth was the arena of a battle between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance, which had installed its temporary headquarters, Echo Base, on the ice planet. However thanks to one of the thousands of probe droids they had dispatched throughout the galaxy, the Imperials had discovered the Alliance base within a month of the rebels habitation on the planet. Although Echo Base was evacuated in the eleventh hour, the Battle of Hoth resulted in a clear defeat for the Alliance after the elite Imperial Blizzard Force overran it.
Behind the scenesEdit
Hoth first appeared in the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, the second installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. The real-world filming location for Hoth was Finse, Norway.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Snowball Sight
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Wampa Woes
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Kyber Saber Crystal Chase" (Appears in hologram)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Maker of Zoh"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Showdown on Hoth"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Flight of the Arrowhead" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Journey Through Space
- ↑ Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ Disney Infinity 3.0
- ↑ The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Star Wars 67: The Scourging of Shu-Torun, Part VI
- ↑ Star Wars 55: Hope Dies, Part VI
- ↑ Lost Stars
- ↑ Star Wars: Uprising