The Hoth asteroid belt contained millions of asteroids, some large, some small, some the size of tiny moons. About two-thirds of them were big enough to destroy a starship as large as an YT-1300 light freighter on impact and some were even large enough to devastate capital ships. Creatures like exogorths and mynocks were present in this area.
- "Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses."
- ―Darth Vader, to Admiral Piett
After the Alliance to Restore the Republic was forced to abandon Yavin 4 after the Battle of Yavin, they began a search for a new base. Eventually the rebels picked the planet Hoth as their new base, largely due to the existence of the asteroid field, as the asteroids in the Hoth system formed an effective barrier to outsiders.
Shortly after the Battle of Hoth, being chased by the Imperial TIE/ln space superiority starfighters, the crew of the Millennium Falcon noticed that the hyperdrive was damaged, so they dashed into the asteroid belt to ditch the pursuit. Despite the near-impossibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field without getting pulverized, the Falcon evaded its pursuers and hid inside one of the largest astreoids. Death Squadron—the Imperial fleet under the command of Darth Vader himself—pursued them, but the field punished them with brutal impacts, resulting in the loss of at least one Star Destroyer when its bridge tower was obliterated by a particularly large asteroid and even causing damage to the Executor-class Star Dreadnought Executor before it withdrew.
- Lost Stars
- Lost Stars webcomic
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Han Solo vs. the Space Slug - The Escape Artist"
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- "Ion Control"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Indirect mention only)
- "The Final Order"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- "Amara Kel's Rules for TIE Pilot Survival (Probably)"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- "Lord Vader Will See You Now"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (In flashback(s))
- "Wait for It"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- "Faith in an Old Friend"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Uprising
- Bloodline (Indirect mention only)
- Force Collector (Vision to Karr Nuq Sin)
- (as "Hoth asteroid field")
- (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Hoth asteroid belt)
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 39 (Guide to the Galaxy: Hoth Asteroid Belt)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 6 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Imperial Fleet; Highlights of the Saga: Peril in the Asteroid Field)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 9 (Highlights of the Saga: Ground Assault on Hoth)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 24 (Databank A-Z: The HoloNet–General Hux)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 29 (Highlights of the Saga: The Empire Strikes Back!)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 32 (Highlights of the Saga: Attack of the Wampa)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 43 (Databank A-Z: Leia Organa) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 51 (Databank A-Z: Soulless One–Super Battle Droids)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 24 (Starfighter Aces: CR-978 – Elite But Expendable) (First identified as Anoat Asteroid Belt)
- (Indirect mention only)