- "About 10 minutes back I got an emergency call from my niece, and she needs help. I can't run out there, with my leg and all, but will you do it?"
- ―Huff Darklighter, to a spacer
- "From what I understand, she and others were kidnapped by some thugs earlier today. She helped the others escape, but she needs help herself."
- ―Huff Darklighter, to a spacer
After the Battle of Yavin, Huff Darklighter's niece resided at the Darklighter estate, on the planet Tatooine. During that time, Jabba the Hutt began to capture people on Tatooine in order to sell them as slaves. In 1 ABY, Huff Darklighter's niece was among a group of people kidnapped by Jabba's thugs. However, she quickly managed to escape with others and called her uncle for help with her comlink. Huff Darklighter soon dispatched a spacer to rescue the woman before Jabba's henchmen tracking her showed up. The spacer found the woman lost in the desert and escorted her back safely to the Darklighter estate. The woman was really shocked by this experience but she was able to explain the whole story to her uncle. Huff Darklighter later paid the spacer to eliminate the criminal leading Jabba's slaving ring.
Behind the scenes
Huff Darklighter's niece was a non-player character in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. Huff Darklighter's niece was present in the original release of the game, being part of the first version of the Darklighter's Estate questline. With the release of the "Publish 25," a.k.a. the "New Game Enhancements," on November 15, 2005, the Darklighter's Estate questline was deeply revamped and Huff Darklighter's niece was removed from the game.
In the game, the woman was only identified as "Huff's Niece" and did not have a proper name. The only identified nieces of Huff Darklighter were the two younger sisters of Gavin Darklighter. However, as they were still children at the time of the Battle of Yavin, Huff's niece from Star Wars Galaxies should be another Darklighter.
Notes and references
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Minor Quest: "Huff Darklighter" on Tatooine
- According to its opening crawl, Star Wars Galaxies was set sometime after Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The only precise time indication in the game was given by the character Ruwan Tokai, who referenced the destruction of the Death Star at the Battle of Yavin as occurring one year earlier, placing the game sometime around 1 ABY. Later, multiple elements confirmed the placement of the game storyline in 1 ABY. First, The Essential Reader's Companion established that the tie-in novel Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine took place in 1 ABY. Furthermore, the game expansion Star Wars Galaxies: Rage of the Wookiees was set during the Blockade of Kashyyyk, one year after the Battle of Yavin according to The Star Wars Holiday Special. Additionally, the main scenario of The Nightsister's Revenge from the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game was set over a year before the Battle of Hoth (3 ABY), so around 1.5 ABY. Finally, the reference book Strongholds of Resistance placed the events of Star Wars Galaxies's Chapter 9: "The Fury of Exar Kun" one year after the Battle of Yavin. Of note, Galaxies's Chapter 11: "The Battle of Echo Base" introduced the Battle of Hoth in the game. However, the developers were quite clear that this was only intended to be a completely isolated "Star Wars Moment" without any effect on continuity for the rest of of the game.
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Quest: "Darklighter Estate" on Tatooine
- X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble