- "The Hutts wouldn't dare incur our wrath, master."
- ―Sev'rance Tann
The Hutt Cartel was a powerful criminal syndicate, or business alliance of Hutts. Jabba Desilijic Tiure held considerable power in the Cartel. It maintained a personal military consisting of both an army and a starfleet. It waged war with the Zann Consortium until the Battle of Hypori.
- "Although the Hutt Cartels resented the Sith Emperor for not including them in his pre-war conspiracy, Imperial Intelligence had somehow blocked the Republic's efforts to win the Hutts' support."
During the time of the Great Galactic War, the Hutt Cartel was displeased with the Sith Emperor because he did not include them in his plans and intrigues. However, due to the subterfuge of Imperial Intelligence agents, the Republic was unsuccessful in gaining the Hutts' support against the Empire. The Cartel remained neutral in the war, like most others in the criminal underworld.
Boorka the Hutt held considerable power in the Cartel. During the Clone Wars he co-operated with Sev'rance Tann during the early days of the War after he gathered information about the Decimator - a Republic superweapon which was still in development. He was annoyed by the Galactic Republic's trade activity near his territory, and agreed to reveal their secret plan to the Separatists.
He lost most of his forces, except for a few mercenaries, for turning against Jabba. Instead, was protected by the Separatists. As a reward, he would give them information about the Decimator, provided that Tann destroyed the Republic Spaceport. After she destroyed the spaceport, Boorka gave her the information she needed.
Boorka was later killed by Republic forces during the Second Battle of Tatooine. The Republic was deeply encouraged to do so by Jabba the Hutt, after he offered them a 5,000 nova crystal bounty to kill him. During the battle, Jabba assisted the Republic General Echuu Shen-Jon.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
During the time of the Empire, the Hutt Cartel had a monopoly of smuggler employment. Although the Galactic Empire did not tolerate lawlessness, they nonetheless were cautious with dealing with the Hutts due to the latter party playing an important role in the Outer Rim's economy, and as such, any direct actions to shut down the smuggler trade required clearance from Imperial High Command beforehand.
During the Galactic Civil War, Jabba formed an alliance with Tyber Zann which was quite successful, until Zann stole his valuable Sith artifact on Felucia. Zann was caught, however, and he gave the artifact to Urai Fen, his second in command. Zann was imprisoned on the planet Kessel. Since the artifact was quite valuable, the Hutt Cartel acquired all assets of the Zann Consortium as compensation.
Later on, Zann broke out of Kessel and rebuilt his forces. Using his Defilers, the Zann Consortium corrupted many of the Cartel's planets and took control of Saleucami. This conflict lasted until the Ground Battle on Hypori, when Tyber Zann forced Jabba to give up his holdings on Hypori and Saleucami. This left the Cartel crippled but not destroyed, and allowed the Zann Consortium to grow unhindered.
- The Old Republic: Smuggler's Vanguard
- Timeline 4: The Empire Changes Strategy (Appears in hologram)
- The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Under a Black Sun (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novel (First appearance)
- Debts to Pay
- Beyond the Rim (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Missions 10: Showdown in Mos Eisley
- Star Wars Missions 11: Bounty Hunters vs. Battle Droids
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Shadows of the Empire novel
- The Long Arm of the Hutt
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption Expansion: Prima Official Game Guide
- Galaxy of Intrigue
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Three
- The Art and Making of Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Suns of Fortune
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – M3-A Interceptor Expansion Pack (Card: Cartel Spacer—M3-A Interceptor)
- Fly Casual
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Karagga the Hutt"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Conversation with Doc: "Looking for a Cure"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Voontara Fa'athra"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Imperial Mission: "Adrenal Shutdown" on Quesh
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Imperial Mission: "Disrupt Negotiations" on Nar Shaddaa
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Empire Mission: "Hostile Takeover" on Nar Shaddaa
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Codex Entry: "Szajin"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- ↑ Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Republic Mission: "Modest Proposals" on Nar Shaddaa
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Nal Hutta"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Nar Shaddaa"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Codex Entry: "The Hutt Conquest of Makeb"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Hutt Cartel"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Codex Entry: "The Hutt Cartel Alliance"
- ↑ Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide